Thursday, June 18, 2009

Vanity gene

I confess. I'm a carrier of the Vanity gene. It comes from the Hunter side of my family and causes me to never leave the house without lipstick applied (with another 6-7 shades in my purse, just in case), wear shoes that are often chosen for style over comfort, fret a little too much over the condition of my hair, and do things like change my Blogger profile picture numerous times in one month--at least this past month.

In my defense, I kept this--my first profile pic--for quite a while:

Jessie took this photo of me in May 2007 when we were in Utah for a family reunion. I was actually holding Bella on my hip, but liked my hair and the lighting, so I cropped it for my first-ever profile picture.

When I changed hairstyles in December '07, it seemed like I should update my profile once again. It took me awhile, though, as the picture I used was not taken until August '08. Perhaps the update was more a result of my evolution from blogging commenter to actual blogger. This photo was originally a SP of Charlotte, Emily, and me, but I like my eyes--so a quick crop and I have Profile Pic #2.

Almost a year later it seemed time for another update, after all, my hair had changed yet again and this SP I snapped before going to a concert in May '09 seemed like the right choice (though in retrospect, I might have thought to PhotoShop that blemish off of my forehead).

Not one week later I decided to cut my hair and go for a short summer look. I credit (or blame, depending on how you look at it) Susan for the change, as when we were in Vail she brought out her customary stack of hair and fashion magazines in which she had flagged all the cute new 'do's. Mine turned out a little shorter than I had bargained for and I fretted I was destined to look like a Middle-Aged Ball Head. Nevertheless, I felt that my profile pic should reflect my current look.

Now, a few weeks into my new cut, I'm starting to like it more and feel a little less ball-headed. Since I liked the way I styled it today (why is that some days we like our hair, and some days we don't?) I decided to snap these two photos in the afternoon light of my sunroom. Now I can't decide which to use as my new(est) profile pic.

*sigh* The vanity gene can be really bothersome at times.

16 comments:

Paula said...

CUTE do!
I don't ever remember your hair being so short!
I like both pictures - sorry, I'm no help.

paws said...

I guess I'm lacking that gene, for better or worse. I feel like I'm doing well if I'm fully dressed when I leave the house. ("You're never fully dressed without a smile...")

Serin said...

I like your 'do too! I vote #2. (and speaking of profile pics, I should change mine... but not before I give myself a digital upgrade. lol)

michelle said...

This is hilarious, Denise. Especially the Middle-Aged Ball Head part! My vote goes to the last photo. (you look more like Denise to me when you smile with your mouth open)

Charlotte said...

I'm so glad you FINALLY are liking your hair!! I vote for the top photo with the mouth closed. And thanks for passing vanity gene on; it has served me well.

Linda said...

Such an adorable new style! I'll vote for photo #2 although you're stunning in each and every picture!

We went out of town in our RV last weekend and something unthinkable happened! I left my small make-up bag at home (which carries my lipsticks in it!) I was without lipstick all.weekend.long! I felt naked but didn't have a car to go to the store in. It seemed like the longest weekend ever.

Wayne said...

I vote for #2

Susan said...

I think I might have some lipstick SOMEWHERE in the house. So much for my vanity gene.

Your hair looks really cute. I vote for Pic #2.

thepostproducer said...

The second one! I love your new short hair! You can honestly pull off anything and look great! =)

Melissa Marilyn said...

I definitely like the last one the best!

Nick said...

They are all adorable! I would have a hard time choosing too...no help, sorry!

P.S. LOVE your daughter!

Susan said...

I had to go back and review all of the photos one last time! I kind of like the 1st one (against all the other comments!). It looks rather "model/sophisticate"...but I like the hair a bit more on the second!

I must say that there is hardly a photo ever taken of you that I don't love, and that being said the vanity gene, having lipstick available at all times, has served you well!

I wish I switched mine up more often. At least it's cropped so tight that you can't really tell how long or short my hair is. I really hate realtor's photos when they have a picture from 20 years ago on their card...like Barney Fife! (private joke, sorry)

Love you and any picture of you I see.

Diana said...

You're so very beauitful.

Its fun catching up on your blog after my long blogging absence.

Marianne said...

Dear Denise...Please forgive me for any confusion my above post may have created. My son-in-law had signed in to his G-mail account the night before on our computer. When I commented on your blog I didn't realize I was signed in under his name! I am embarrassed but I do love your daughter!

P.S. He would never say your photos were "adorable".He would shoot himself before he used that word!

Lee said...

Love the new hair cut Denise. You look great! You always do. Lee

Bond Girl 007 said...

b e a u t i f u l ma da me....I love love the highlights on the very last picture, I love the second one (hair cut) but you look fabulous on all of them! I seriously think that GG GORGEOUS GENE does you well.! NOthing like spt....thank heaven's for this new thing, instead of asking for someone to take it.....