A little after 10 on Monday night I was enjoying a relaxing shower at the end of a very productive day when, about halfway through, I heard and felt a frightening sound--above the sounds of the streaming water and the radio. Fearing my furnace was about to explode (our hot water heater/furnace combo--an antiquated beast--resides in a closet in our bathroom and at times makes menacing thumping noises). "Oh NO!" I'm thinking. "The house is going to blow up and I'm going to be found naked and dead in the street! What an embarrassing way to go."
And then the lights went out.
It didn't take me too long to deduce that we were in the middle of a tremendous thunder and hail storm. Thankfully John, knowing I was in the shower, was quick to bring me his Nintendo DS, which when opened and sitting on the counter, provided adequate light by which to dry off and dress. Whew! I wasn't going to die naked after all.
I was impressed by the kids' quick response to an emergency situation. The storm hit so suddenly and with such severity; thanks to their quick response time and action (as I was otherwise occupied) windows and doors were expeditiously closed, allowing no water to enter the house.
The outside of the house, however, did not fare so well. We awoke the next morning (still no power) to find the back of house looking like this:
Some of the holes are three and four inches big! We were fortunate that no windows shattered, as many of our neighbors' did. However, the frames are broken, dented, and cracked--like this:
Our gutters and window frames look like someone with anger issues took a ball-peen hammer to them. The saddest part to me is my little garden in the front of the house. Remember reading about my efforts to beautify? Well, Monday afternoon I decided I would surprise Mark (who was out of town) for our upcoming anniversary and add some finishing touches to our joint gardening effort. I stopped at the nursery on my way home from work, dropped another $50 for some fill-in plants, and together with the kids planted everything for FHE Monday night. For at least three whole hours my garden looked really good.
On Tuesday morning my garden looked like this:
. . . and my potted basil looks like this:
Emily, Sarah, John, and his friend George helped me rake and clean the yard (remember I said that Mark was out of town?). After a few hours of work we had raked about 15 bags of leaves--just from the front lawn. Though the decimation of my little garden is disappointing, it was somewhat heartening to at least get the debris cleaned up, and it felt pretty neighborly, as everyone else on the block was out in their yards doing the same thing and we would occasionally walk over to a neighbor's house to exchange storm stories and damage estimates.The good news? Our power came back on last night around 10 p.m., but not before I had to attend to some urgent Relief Society business by candlelight and flashlight.

The bright spot? My rose bush, a Mother's Day gift this year from Mark, came through the storm nearly unscathed--amazing, when you consider the state of everything else in the vicinity.
For another great account of our eventful week and more photo documentation, see Emily's post.


12 comments:
I totally had to laugh at your fear of being found naked in the street. lol
Amazing that your rose bush survived!
Oh my goodness, that was some seriously damaging hail! I'm sorry about the damage to your house and your newly planted flowers, but I'm glad you're all alright and weren't caught driving in it or something. I'm also glad your water heater didn't blow up, causing you to die in the buff (also a fear of mine). How did you all fair without power for so long?
I echo Serin's comments:
1) Yay for the surviving rosebush!
2) So glad you weren't caught naked in the streets - dead or alive.
All our little techie gadgets make great flashlights, eh?
I'm also glad you didn't have to die naked--I had no idea that was such a fear of yours. The lack of garden makes my heart hurt. And the surviving and blooming rose bush made me happy :)
So sorry to hear that Denise. WE had a mini tornado on Friday night. We lost 5 of our trees. 4 small but my very favorite, my largest and oldest tree. It's gone and I'm devastated. Lee
Doing your relief society work by candle light reminds me of a day in my mission when we were in the middle of weekly planning. Our power went out and we had to finish it by candle light.
Sorry to hear that your lovely garden is not so lovely. But plants are resilient and they'll come back!
I could swear I already commented on this... weird.
I cracked up over you worrying about dying naked on the street! I've never thought about it before, but I guess now that's a new fear of mine as well.
That was one serious storm -- I honestly cannot believe all the damage it did. The shed! The siding! And saddest of all, the garden. I hope your plants all come back with a vengeance.
Oh my goodness! This is unbelievable! It is almost impossible to imagine that nature can be so destructive.
So sorry about your happy garden, but on the bright side, an insurance claim could result in a new siding color!! I'm sure we'll talk.
I was amazed and so happy to see your roses yesterday evening. It truly is miraculous that they survived the malestrom. Oh, and tell Mark he's a "Grill God" with his awesome hamburgers. I still can't get over how lame Emily's cake turned out, sheesh!
I am so sorry it just sounds awful Who would think that you would get a hail storm in July!!!
I like your new banner :)
Wow - that's incredible. Thank goodness for no broken windows.
I've been looking for a way to get in touch with you and this is the best I've got so far. I've been telling some new neighbors about your sweet bread recipie (the one you always made for ward conference) and was wondering if I could get the recipe?
Marianne, I'd be happy to share the recipe with you, though I'm not quite sure which one you want. My mom and I made several different kinds of bread when we did "bread buffets" for ward conference and the musical at WRHS. My email address is dpwood@q.com.
Post a Comment