Monday, July 27, 2009

mini makeover

Five years ago we moved into our current home, inheriting a number of lovely "gifts with purchase," so to speak. Some things I simply could not abide and was driven to change immediately, and others--though I didn't like them--got pushed to the bottom of the to-do list until, sadly, I guess I became used to them and almost forget that I wanted to change them.

My bathroom shower curtain was one such item. Southwest-style prints have never been a favorite of mine, but I guess the fact that it was a pretty shade of red and I happened to have matching towels made it somehow tolerable, or at least not annoying enough to move up on the priority list.

I'm not sure what first inspired my desire for a black-and-white shower curtain, but I had a vision in my head of what I wanted. One day while reading a home improvement post by blogger friend Lee in Pennsylvania, I saw the shower curtain that was in my head! I posted a comment about the irony of it all, praising her for her good taste. She quickly emailed me to say that she had made hers from a table cloth she purchased at T J Maxx, and that she had an extra one I could buy from her for a mere $15! Woo hoo! One step closer to getting rid of Southwest kitsch.

Fast forward about four months. The table cloth had been sitting on my sewing table, waiting for me to find the time to transform it. One afternoon after work I decided that there's no time like the present, and I sat down and made myself a shower curtain!

The table cloth was not quite large enough on its own, so I added a weighted hem in solid black. I decided to tie grosgrain ribbon in single-looped bows at the top of each shower ring.

Remember my powder room re-do last March? I saved the rather scary hardware (towel bar and switch plate cover) and got out my favorite transformation tool: black spray paint.

I haven't hung the "new" towel bar yet, but you can see here the lovely one I'm replacing. Do you know of anyone with a log cabin who would like to decorate with a hunting motif? Perhaps the more pressing question is, "Why in the world didn't I replace this hideous thing sooner?!"

The finishing touches, and perhaps the final impetus that got this project in motion came as birthday presents last March. Susan gave me these cute ceramic canisters for Q-tips and cotton balls,

and Michelle brought me (among other things) one of the darling black-and-white boxes of Puffs I had coveted after seeing them on her blog. I have alerted each of my family members that I will NOT be throwing away this box, but re-filling it.

See the wonders of blogging? Table cloth from T J Maxx: $15. Black fabric on sale at Hancock's: $5. Twelve yards of black grosgrain ribbon: $12. Sending the Southwest to Goodwill: Priceless.

16 comments:

Serin said...

Very cute! And, yes, WHY didn't you get rid of that towel bar sooner?!! lol

Jill said...

The new shower curtain looks great! I love the black and white color scheme, and love that it was made from a table cloth!

Jill said...

P.S. How did that towel bar survive even 1 of Susan's visits??

paws said...

Black and white is so classy, I think, and I'm with you on the ickiness of southwestern decor. Blech.

Miranda said...

Denise that looks fantastic! I'm always so amazed a what a few changes will do for a room.

Charlotte said...

I love going into your bathroom and looking at that oh-so-cute shower curtain! And I second Jill in asking how that towel bar survived multiple Susan visits. Ha.

Linda said...

Denise, your new bathroom curtain and accessories are gorgeous! I'm such a lover of black/white and especially damask! Love it all!

I don't know what's gotten into me either, I just hung curtains in two rooms recently. I'm feeling so Martha Stewart!

Paula said...

I was just about to compose a post about MY bathroom decorating woes - how I wish I had Susan for a big sister! I just can't find anything to liven up our cute-but-blah bathroom.

(Maybe Pat would like your towel bar :))

Susan said...

Maybe if you spray painted the towel bar black....then again, maybe not. There's nothing like a redecorating project to take the edge off the disappointment of hail damage.

I also love the idea of making a shower curtain out of the table cloth. For some reason it's so hard to find a good shower curtain!

michelle said...

I love your new shower curtain! I am constantly amazed by the power of a little spray paint. And I am glad to know that I am not the only one who finds that unsightly things just become part of the landscape and stops noticing them...

Melissa Marilyn said...

I have always loathed the decor of that bathroom! Way to go on a MAJOR improvement. I am coveting your Puffs box; why do our stores always have such ugly boxes??? Can't wait to see it in person!

Susan said...

Great improvement!!

And for the record, I try not to give too much unsolicited advice (or horror) to my friends (sisters alike!) and clients! But, I must say that this editing was long overdue!

I like the way we Petersen girls tie square bows...great tight shot!

Very nice gift from Lee. She's a cutie.

Marianne said...

Hi Denise! I am having fun with Gena and the gang! We just looked at your blog and I must tell you how envious I am of your shower curtain! I am slowly transforming my bathroom and there are black and white accents as well. A fun website for different color combos is decorbycolor.com.
They give updates on (among other color combos) the latest black and white things they have found for sale on the web. You might see something amazingly perfect for your bathroom!

Gena and I are going antiquing and boutiquing tomorrow. I'll post some pictures!

Lee said...

OMG! Denise, I am so jealous! How beautiful yours looks. I love the bottom being all black and how lovely are your bows. You are amazing. I'm so happy it came out so beautiful.
Good for you. Love Lee

Bond Girl 007 said...

oh wow~ amazing it looks gorgeous. I just saw a zebra (brown) shower curtain and have gone back three times to check it out...it would look daaaling with my zebra comforter for the guest bathroom.....want to visit??? I need that shower curtain! ....it might be gone by now! ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

emily said...

I, personally, do not know how you were able to say goodbye to the prancing deer silhouette that has been your bathroom companion for so many years now. Then again, your new curtain is so dang cute, that loss is irrelevant.