I had been dreading today, Mother's Day, since the day my mother died a little over one month ago. It turns out it wasn't so bad after all. My church meetings were uplifting (as opposed to the sometimes guilt-inducing or overly-sentimental Mother's Day diatribes), and I spent the day with my family--including two of my sisters. After church we drove to Ft. Logan, the cemetery where Mother is buried. We weren't sure if her headstone would be up or not and were pleasantly surprised to find that it was.

Since the graves in Mother's section are all relatively new, they don't yet have sod. Hopefully it won't be long before they do. There is something inherently pleasing to me about the orderly rows of identical headstones in the military cemetery.

Susan arranged a beautiful bouquet of flowers we took to church for the chapel, then came home and rearranged them--from the tall glass vase they were in to a low basket--to decorate the grave (better for not tipping over, should a breeze come up). It was, without doubt, the most stylish arrangement in the entire cemetery and one Mother would definitely love.

My dad held up well today and said that he felt Mother's presence at the graveside. It was a peaceful, happy feeling.

Susan and Fred came from Pennsylvania for the weekend--that's a Mother's Day gift in itself! Susan and I spent Friday and Saturday going through Mother's clothing and personal affects, sorting piles for distribution to family members, friends, etc. There were a few tearful moments, but more laughter and smiles as we reminisced together.

Karen came out for the day (Sunday) and was delighted with the things she received from Mother's stylish bounty! One of the items Mother wanted her to have was her gold wedding band. Dad bought a chain for it so Karen can wear it now without waiting to have it sized.

Mother had designated me as the recipient of her diamond ring, a beautiful ring that to me symbolizes 65 years of committed, loving marriage. My Mother's Day gift was to have the jeweler solder it between my two wedding bands. If you look closely, you can see the ring on my finger in the photo below.

Susan brought along some water to give the arrangement one last drink before we left. (Yes, those are fresh limes in the arrangement!)

Mother's headstone sentiment is a fitting tribute to the live she lived and the way in which she loved us all: Charity Never
Faileth.

Today I feel grateful to see my mother's legacy living on in the women in my life, and hopefully in me. I love you, Mom.
10 comments:
Sigh. I am teary tonight.
I am glad that you could be together, that you could reminisce and laugh, and visit Grandma's grave site.
I love all that that lovely ring symbolizes so much.
I love the picture of Grandpa, and the one with John towering above you all.
Fear not, I definitely see Grandma's legacy living on in you.
Again I ask, how did I get to be in this family?
I am so glad you and Susan were able to be together for this first Mother's Day without your sweet mother, and I'm so happy that it wasn't as hard as you thought it would be.
I'm glad that this day was not as bad as you had thought it might be. I also love the tulips and limes in the flower arrangement!
I'm so glad you could be with your sisters on this Mother's Day. It sounds like it was a lovely day, albeit bittersweet. I love you!!
OHHHHHHHHHHH i AM DRAWN TO YOU! AND your beautiful families....your mother's grave such a statement with that quote....flowers to die for! wow, maybe not the right thing to say.....oh well, HOPE YOU ARE DOING WELL, AND WANTED TO WISH YOU A BELATED MOTHER'S DAY!
How very nice that Susan could come out. The support you were able to give each other I am sure helps a lot.
That arrangement is beautiful, Susan sure is talented.
I love you Denise and have thought of you often these days. I hope you are feeling the love and prayers for you and your family. Wish I were there to hug you tight!
Dear Denise,
I know it must have been very hard. How wonderful that your sisters where there with you. I said a prayer for you and Susan.
Love Lisa
I love this recap. Grandma's grave is beautiful, and it was touching for me to be able to visit.
I love that Grandma's ring means so much to you, that's it is more than a sparkly accessory.
What a beautiful culmination.
Post a Comment