Friday, June 11, 2010

clogging blogging

Now that Mark has computer up and running again knock on wood) I can finally begin to attempt blog catch-up, starting with Sarah's national clogging competition at the end of May.

My good friend Linda drove to Utah with Sarah and I. We were making good time, and I had just remarked on it to Linda when she said, "Well, I hate to tell you this, but I think we've got a problem." Not good words to hear on a road trip.

The temperature gauge on her oh-so-reliable Subaru looked like this (aren't you impressed I thought to take a photo?):

After a stop at a Grease Monkey in Rifle, Colorado, where the car's fluids were replenished, we were on our way to Grand Junction, where we would have the car looked at by a Subaru dealer. (It turned out that nothing was wrong at all--perhaps just a loose radiator cap.) We laughed at this Grease Monkey sign, which of course would not have been so funny if the car had not been so easily fixed.

Charlotte got to spend the weekend with us, too, which proved an added bonus. We went shopping for wedding necessities on Friday night and then went to Pleasant Grove to stay with Linda's hospitable relatives.

The morning of Saturday's competition dawned cloudy, COLD, and rainy. Did Utah not get the memo that it was ALMOST JUNE? Linda, having packed for warmer weather, had to make a quick run to Kohl's for pants and socks before we left for Lagoon--the site of Clogging Nationals. We were all a bit skeptical upon arriving and parking at the amusement park, as evidenced by Charlotte's "I'm dreading being cold all day" expression.

I didn't take many photos of the actual dancing because I would rather watch the dance live than through the lens of my camera, if that makes sense. I'm really grateful that I have no cause in life that requires me to wear silver lame pants. I did enjoy watching the team perform in the tops I was hired to sew for them.
Sarah's team did really well, earning a Best Overall Team (in the intermediate division) for one of their dances, and the Best Overall Studio for their entire division! We celebrated that night by having dinner at the famed In-and-Out Burger.
Sarah looks a little too grown-up in her stage makeup, don't you think?

It was a short but fun trip. Now we get a break from clogging classes until August--that is, unless Sarah hears a toe-tapping tune on the radio and starts one of her routines in the kitchen, or down the aisles of Costco, or in the driveway. . . .

13 comments:

Serin said...

Yay for fixed computers! I'm glad the trip went (almost-mostly) smoothly and I agree about the silver lame pants! lol

Miranda said...

Ahhh, memories. Actually, I STILL break into clogging routines on occasion...if the music is right. :)

Diana said...

Congrats to Sarah! Sounds like so much fun! And ditto to Miranda's comment, that is so me as well!

Jill said...

I'm glad the car incident didn't end up being anything too expensive or time consuming for you guys!

Sarah does look so much more grown up with her make-up on!

Charlotte said...

That photo in the car is actually a photo from when we retreated to a warm place after lunch. I could hardly bear the thought of going back into the freezing. Sarah was worth it, though! That was such a fun weekend--such wonderful family/friend/clogging time.

emily said...

Sarah looks way too grown up. But I hope that she keeps clogging this summer. I think I would miss her tapping.

Linda said...

So glad the computer is fixed, I've missed you!

What a fun trip! Your sweet clogging girl is adorable and yes, looking more grown up these days!

We saw a clogging group at the fair last year. It's hard work!

I still can't believe one of your college girls is getting married! My two are no where near that stage in their lives. From the looks of it, I'll be a grandmother when I'm old and gray!

DeeAnn said...

Great to see you back in blogland. I cannot believe how grown-up Sarah is looking these days! And Charlotte getting married...ahhh...how life just keeps on rolling!

Love you!

Susan said...

Happy day! Computer fixed and back in the blogging circle.

Sarah looks too old for sure, and happy! She has a flair for it and is one of the only ones that looks like she looks cute in the lame pants. They certainly are not on any wardrobe list of mine!

Carry on, Sarah!

Melissa Marilyn said...

I think Sarah looks like you in her grown-up makeup. Lucky girl! :)

Amen to joining the "Just Say No to EVER Wearing Silver Lame Pants" club!

Season and Isabella said...

Beautiful girls!

Bond Girl 007 said...

oh Clogging is fun, I think the picture with the two girls is adorable...Cute girls! Love the polka dots too! Finally caught up! wow can you believe it is june already?

Miranda said...

It just dawned on me that I have a LABEL designated just for me on your blog! I'm so very, VERY, flattered.