My mother was well-known for her famously-delicious homemade baked goods--especially her cakes, pies, and breads. Of the many things I miss about her, one is her freshly-baked bread. She made it often and shared it freely, as it was one of the things she could still do given her visual impairment. I would commission loaves from her to deliver to ladies from church, or just because I was in the mood for one of my favorites. As I would thank her profusely when she handed over the still-warm loaves she would say something like, "Oh, thank
you! You don't know how much I love having something to do, and helping you in the process."
Every year during musical season she would spend about a week making and freezing bread of all kinds to take to the kids during one of their long rehearsal nights. Bread Night is now legendary, and something all of the kids look forward to with anticipation. This photo was taken in March 2009:
Not long ago I realized, with some degree of panic, that I did not have some of my mother's recipes for my favorite breads. I enjoy making bread, too, but my mother had been the one to make it most often and I guess there were a few kinds that slipped through the cracks of my recipe books. Thankfully, as I was reading
Miranda's blog one day I came across a post about my mother's buttermilk bread. I almost cried with relief to have the recipe right there for the taking! It's one of my favorites.
So last weekend, to go with a homemade pot of soup, I made my mother's buttermilk bread. I think she would have been proud of the outcome.
11 comments:
I think so too!
Looks delicious :)
BTW
What are you going to do when the musical cast expects *you* to provide the bread buffet??
I love this post. I love Grandma's bread. How about you apparate me some next time? Great.
Looks pretty praiseworthy to me! I was happy to see that recipe on Miranda's blog, too...
Looks beautiful. I know I made the sweet one Susan gave me. I love it. Is that the same one? Lee
Crying.
That looks so good I swear I can smell it!
What a marvelous blessing of blogging!
Homemade bread is one of my favorite comfort foods!
What a darling picture of Charlotte. I'll sure miss bread night next year, but love the memories of this tradition. :)
Your loaves look perfect!
ohhh I would love to try her recipes if I am soo lucky??? where do I find them? and those puppies look amazingly good! yum yum yum yum! yum. what a beautiful photo of her...I can only picture her in a beautiful white dress smiling at all of you!
Post a Comment