Saturday, May 2, 2009

taking the "tag"

I usually ignore forwarded emails that direct you to "Forward this message to twenty more friends!" I find them annoying and don't appreciate the guilt trip they try to place on the receiver who opts out of forwarding. In the same vein, though not nearly as annoying, I don't usually respond to "Tag, you're it!" messages. Today I'm making an exception, however, as this one I read on my friend Gena's blog actually helped me focus my thoughts when I was feeling behind and overwhelmed by my recent lack of (and time for) blogging. I tweaked it a bit to better suit my need to catch up.

8 things I'm glad I accomplished in the past week:
  • Finally finished a bench cushion cover for a sewing client.
  • Held my first presidency meeting.
  • Welcomed my daughters home for the summer!
  • Refused to let the dramatic increase in laundry overwhelm me.
  • Washed and ironed my sheets as well as the girls', prior to their arrival home. (Found Moosey cuddled on top of this pile of blankets from my bed.)
  • Attended an excellent focus seminar put on by LDS Family Services about depression.
  • Hosted a luncheon for the high school moms who helped with costumes for the musical. (Thank heaven for the generous help of my own darling mom!)
  • Took Sarah out of school early on Thursday afternoon for an emergency matinee with me, Charlotte, and Emily to see the Hannah Montana movie. Smuggled contraband into theater and enjoyed being the only people in the whole room!
  • Okay, this is number nine--it's my blog list anyway! Made cute table centerpieces for the Stake Teacher Appreciation evening, with the help of my girls.
8 things I wish I would/could have done in the past week:
  • Finished organizing the Visiting Teaching routes in my ward.
  • Cleaned my bathroom.
  • Written some thank-you notes.
  • Visited an older, ailing sister in my ward.
  • Made something real for dinner more than two nights.
  • Planned menus for next week.
  • Gotten some ironing done for next week.
  • Given my mom a pedicure.
8 Things I'm really grateful for right now:
  • Kids and a spouse who help me clean and make me feel loved.
  • Brother Hendrix (from another ward) who is fixing a gas leak in our 800-year-old furnace.
  • The Relief Society Lesson I finished preparing this morning for tomorrow (as opposed to waiting until late tonight to put it together).
  • The internet and a computer at home--even if it's slow at times.
  • My BlueTooth wireless headset and unlimited cell phone minutes after 7 p.m. and on weekends.
  • Having DVR so I can still watch a few of my favorite TV shows AND skip all the commercials.
  • A family who doesn't complain when we have dumb dinners.
  • A testimony of the Savior's love for me personally.

8 comments:

Susan said...

If I had even one more once of energy and my eyes weren't closing as I post, I would follow in your footsteps. I am soooooo behind on posting it's discouraging!

Great photo of my two cutest friends as well as sister/mom!! It's a keeper for sure.

Glad to see you in action, but it sounds like a busy schedule....a little more than ususal, if that's possible!

Also, I'm happy for you that the girls are home! I'm definitely jealous of the matinee....I'm just working towards one day a week to stay home and catch up on critical issues.

Susan said...

I love the smuggling Sarah out of school bit. Definitely time well skipped! Even though, you're my ideal RS pres, I sure don't envy your position. It's a lot to feel responsible for. I hope you are able to strike a balance so you can feel satisfied with your accomplishments without feeling brought down by all the things you theoretically could be doing given infinite time and energy.

Serin said...

"Finished organizing the Visiting Teaching routes in my ward" NOO! Can't we keep VT Groups???

Charlotte said...

You're pretty much Wonder Woman.

Gena said...

Wonder Woman, Celestial Being, it's all "Denise" to me. I had to laugh at being your inspiration because I really had to struggle to come up with 8 thing for each list. I taught all week and was in a haze! Love you, goddess of blogging.

Jill said...

I love the group hug picture, that's so sweet! It must be wonderful to have the girls home for the summer.

It's a great idea to take Sarah out of school for an all-girls matinee, that's so much more fun than a weekend outing.

Your centerpieces and Charlotte look so pretty!

It must be crazy to find yourself as the Relief Society President all the sudden with all work and changes that will bring to your life. I have no doubt that you will be awesome in that position.

michelle said...

That SP with Grandma is adorable!! She looks back to her healthy, happy self. I bet you scored major Mom points for checking Sarah out for a movie -- great idea.

Hooray for Brother Hendrix! I just found out today that we needed a new water heater. We spent $1500 today on plumbing, and that was NOT covered by our insurance...

You ARE pretty much Wonder Woman.

Diana said...

Your pictures are beautiful. I know I always say that but I can't get over how beautiful you and your daughters are.
You must love having them home for the whole summer!
That Hannah Montana day sounds like so much fun.