Friday, September 4, 2009

Superman: Part I

Remember my 1993 Ford Explorer--the one I've been driving for five of the past six years? Let me refresh your memory: it's the one that hasn't had working A/C for the past two years, one door that no longer opens from the inside (just so happens to be the one most frequently needed to drop off kids at school), a transmission that has been threatening to go for some time now, and a starter that needs an occasional menacing prod with a broomstick in order to function properly.

Mark, being both compassionate and smart, traded me cars once summer began. I drove his red Ford Ranger (which in reality isn't big enough for all the people and things I tote about town--but who's complaining, it has great A/C) and he drove the sweltering Jed Clampet-mobile.

And then the starter on the Explorer died in the parking lot of Mark's office. What to do now? How much money do we really want to spend fixing up this old car? Mark and Emily towed the car home with the little red truck and I began wondering how we would all fit into the Ranger to make it to church on Sunday.

The next thing I know, Mark is doing extensive online research. "Great!" I think to myself. "He's looking for a new car." Little did realize he was teaching himself how to be a mechanic. Before I knew it, Mark--who has never tinkered much with cars--had found an inexpensive replacement part and was underneath the car installing it.

I kept any doubts or misgivings to myself, and must admit that I was quite impressed by the lack of cursing I heard (perhaps I was out of earshot). In less time that I would have imagined, Mark came into the house with a jubilant request that I come outside to admire his handiwork. Lo and behold, that car starts every time now on the first try!

Mark could be the official spokesperson for Dawn dish soap: Gets Grease Out of Your Way.

Mark has since told me that he doesn't appreciate me referring to "his car" as a Jed Clampet-mobile. I think he has developed a sort of kinship with that old car; he claims it's his Therapy Car. In addition to putting in the new starter, he has replaced the brakes, put in new spark plugs, and numerous other things I know nothing about. He has taught me that I guess we can all learn to do things that we didn't think we knew how to do, and yes--I still get to drive the car with air conditioning.

7 comments:

Serin said...

LOL I love how Mark humors you with pictures. It's like pulling teeth to get a good picture of Chris!

Glad you still get the AC though ;)

michelle said...

This is awesome. I love that he taught himself how to do those things! And that he posed for the photos. And that he let you drive his truck with A/C during the summer. (but Jed Clampit-mobile did make me laugh)

Jill said...

Wow, I am seriously impressed!! Repairing cars seems like an elusive talent, not something people teach themselves how to do. Wow!

Great pictures for this post! I love it that he posed with the bottle of Dawn.

Susan said...

I'm totally impressed, and I love the photo of Mark.

Good going! I guess he is forming some kind of bond with that car!

Paula said...

Way to go Mark!
It is SO wonderful to have a man who can fix virtually anything! I can't begin to count the times Jan has come to the rescue!

Charlotte said...

He can have the Explorer! And I do find his defense of the car entertaining. I am, however, super impressed with his dormant mechanic ability. Seriously cool.

Bond Girl 007 said...

what a stud! fixing and then posing! Your wall looks so pretty on the back!