Sunday, January 31, 2010

10 things I love about costuming

1. The entire creative process, from conception to realization.

2. Shopping for fabric and patterns--the joy of textiles in general.

3. Spending time and (sometimes) being goofy with some of the most wonderful friends I've ever had the privilege of knowing. Feeling like a contributing member of my community.

4. Spending time with my kids and seeing them perform.


5. Finding the PERFECT accessories for the leading lady's ball gown.

6. Having the ability to see to it that my daughter has one of the cutest dresses in the chorus.

7. The secret pleasure of seeing some of my mother's and my old clothes and hats on stage (the coral dress with black buttons is one my mother made for herself about 50 years ago. The white hat is one my sister made for my mom about 15-20 years ago. The black and fuchsia dress on the left edge of the photo below was one of mine from the '80's).

8. The satisfaction of witnessing The Twirl Factor in action.

9. Making every performer feel like they look terrific--whether it's the leading lady or someone who stands in the back in the chorus.

10. Getting to know my kids' friends and classmates.

(I made this list so I will have something to remind myself of over the next six weeks. )

15 comments:

michelle said...

I'm glad to know there are some serious benefits in it for you, Denise! Good idea making a reminder list.

Serin said...

Love the twirl factor on the guy. Lol those sound like good perks :)

Jill said...

You are so amazing Denise! It's amazing that you are capable of making all these beautiful ensembles AND that you take the huge amounts of time to do it even though you are so, so busy in your regular life!!

paws said...

Hey! I see my Oklahoma! skirt.

Linda said...

You've got some serious talent Denise! I can only imagine the hundreds and hundreds of hours that you put into all of these costumes. Simply amazing!

Charlotte said...

I hope you do look back on this list come March :) You're incredible, Mom--you can do it!

April said...

May the force be with you, my friend. See you on the flip side!

Hannah Holt said...

Your theater department is so, so lucky.

Susan said...

Wow! Great documentation and all I can see is that I am impressed! It is fun to be involved in the activities your children are in, and I'm sure that you are the most fun costume director ever!

Wish I could be on your team...

Melissa Marilyn said...

I adore this post and love ALL of the photos. I don't have any from Oklahoma I just realized. :(

Denise is THE BEST costumer!

Can't wait to see what's in store for Hello Dolly and to collaborate some more. Love you BFF! ;)

thepostproducer said...

Aw I LOVE this Ms. Wood! It brings back such wonderful memories! WR is so incredibly lucky to have you and your exceptional talent =) Please oh please post pictures of all of your Hello Dolly creations! And good luck for the next month or two! Lots of Love, Q

Season and Isabella said...

Denise,
This is such a cool post. What fun to look back on all of this. You are amazing!

Marianne said...

Wow. Like everypne else has already said. WR is very fortunate to have you! I can remember watching a show that you'd costumed and secretly hoping that the finale would include audience members receiving one of the beautiful dresses you'd made.

Gena said...

I always imagine you in a large and spacious loft with flunkies running about you while you sketch and approve of fabric swatches and others grovel at your feet for your services with checking accounts full of not so filthy lucre that you deserve for all your time, love and effort. That's my dream for you and I'm sticking with it!

Diana said...

I love that you share your talent.
I had a fun game night with your girls a couple of weeks ago, I so love them!