Monday, March 8, 2010

. . . and this is what I hate about costuming

Our show closed last Saturday night--thank heaven! My friends often ask me, "How do you do it, Denise?" This is how: I let absolutely everything else in my life take a back seat--family (which encompasses laundry, meal prep, house cleaning, phone conversations with out-of-state loved ones, blog reading, etc.), church assignments (more difficult to do so this year--thank goodness I have supportive counselors and a fabulous Compassionate Service Leader), friends (sorry about never texting you back, Paula, when you were in town. . .), and of course sleep and healthy eating (and I wonder why I'm just getting over one of the worst sinus infections I've had in a while).

This morning, deciding that my sanity hinged upon "getting my house in order," I took yet another day off work and decided to try to make order out of chaos. Sadly, the following photos were not staged in any way. This is just the way my house looked this morning, after several weeks of neglect.

My bedside table/dresser. Note unmade bed in the mirror:
Both my kitchen and dining room tables were covered with weeks of miscellany. Of course, we never ate dinner at the table, so where's the problem? Note Emily's "cartoon" sunglasses I've had to resort to wearing, as mine broke and I have not had time to get them fixed or replaced. Also note the last of the Christmas decorations that have yet to be stored away:
Note bags from HomeGoods containing a design project for a patiently-waiting client, as well as miscellaneous coupons (likely expired by now) clipped who knows when:Another pile, in a different location, for a different patiently-waiting client:
The laundry center--not a pretty sight.
The ironing pile (which does not include all of the hanging items pictured in the back of the previous top photo). Most mornings the kids feel lucky if they can simply pull a rumpled something out of the pile to wear that day; hey--at least there's a possibility it may be clean.
No wonder I can't iron:
My sewing area. When things get so crazy I don't take time to clean up one project before moving onto the next, hence the pile of scraps and unused fabrics strewn about the floor:
It's gross, but I had to document the un-vacuumed floor. It's WAY worse in the sewing area. Yes, Jessie--those are the ever-present remnants of Moosey's favorite rope chew toy. Don't ask where the spare change came from!
My work desk, where everything from school, church, mail, etc. gets unceremoniously deposited. Yes, that is a wrapped Christmas box containing a church object lesson used last December:Part of my kitchen counter, representing the remnants of my last-minute pretzel-making-gift project (for closing night thank-you's) and my varied assortment of vitamins and cough remedies:
And, though (thankfully) not in my house, there's all of the waiting, dirty costumes at the high school to be dealt with--LATER.A self-portrait of exhaustion at the end of the show's run. What would I do without my dear friend and co-conspirator, Teri?
And whatever would I do without my ever-supportive and non-complaining husband Mark? This photo was taken after Thursday night's show, hence John in costume and makeup.
*sigh* Let Real Life commence.

11 comments:

michelle said...

A post from Denise, woohoo!!

All of these pictures represent what the teacher of our organizing class would call a lack of "landing time" -- no time inbetween activities to tidy up from what came before.

And sadly, my house looks like that after just one busy week. So I'm actually impressed!

I hope you can restore order soon and get some much-needed rest. (Not likely for an R.S. president, eh?)

Charlotte said...

You're Wonder Woman. No question. I'll make you a cape.

And I laughed out loud when I read that you're wearing the cartoon glasses!

Paula said...

I thought I was the only one in the civilized world living in such chaos - I think you might be coming close ;) Once might dispute if either of us live in a "civilized" world!

paws said...

When did my sister Diana start living with you?

emily said...

I'm so glad that my cartoon glasses came in handy! I'm sure the guys at the federal center gate got a kick out of them. I laughed so much when Charlotte told me that you've been wearing them around town.

And good luck getting things back in order. My week has minimal "landing time," but I'm planning on doing much-needed laundry and tidying myself. We can do it!

Love you!

steve said...

The twirl factor was worth it.

The costumes were drop dead amazing.

John's performance was even better!

You are the queen.

Wayne said...

The best thing I ever learned in chemistry is that the universe tends toward entropy. Because of this, I have given up trying to organize...

Jill said...

Hooray for a new post, and a photo-filled, real-life post to boot! I love seeing all these details from your life, and clicked on the photos to enlarge them so I could see what books you're reading (or hoping to read).

I really hope your day at home helped you to restore order mentally and physically. I don't function well when my house gets out of control, so I can definitely empathize.

Susan said...

Very well documented...I get the picture! I guess that is the good thing about having no dog, no children left at home, an a Sneelock who also offers no complaint!

Welcome back! Can't wait to see the fruits of your efforts in costuming.

Paula said...

paws - at first I had no idea what your comment was all about - NOW I get it! :)

jt said...

I have 2 reactions: 1, I didn't know it was possible for you to let your house fall into such disarray. It makes me happy of course because it means I'm not SO retarded, and 2. I am impressed that that was the result after so many weeks, not a couple of days, which happens around here. Yay!