Tuesday, July 6, 2010

farewell teenager

Twenty years ago at this very moment I was waddling the halls of Lutheran Hospital in Wheat Ridge, Colorado (pausing every now and then to breathe my way through a contraction). Emily was preparing to make her grand entrance into the world and despite the fact that I was having regular contractions, the nurses were not satisfied with my progress and suggested I walk the halls to speed things along. Suffice it to say that I am really glad it's 2010 and not 1990.

Little did I know at the time that the Lord was sending me one of His most amazing children to call my own.

Two years ago, before Emily left for college, I made a "10 Things I Love About You" book for her birthday. Though there are way more than just ten admirable, lovable, and endearing things I love about my second child, here are the ones I documented in her book:

  • You are one of the hardest-working people I know. You don’t mind doing dirty jobs, and you do what it takes to get the job done—be it cleaning a bathroom, finishing a school assignment, or canvassing the streets of downtown Denver passing out flyers.

  • I love your sense of humor! You’re not afraid to be a little goofy sometimes, and that just makes life all the more enjoyable.

  • You’ve got a great sense of style. I love the way you combine textures, pattern, and color to come up with just the right outfit. I also love that you sometimes plan your outfits first on paper.

  • Your priorities are in the right place. I love that I never have to guess on which side of the line you stand. I love you for making time for the things that matter most—you are an example to me and gentle reminder of the qualities I want to cultivate in myself.

  • I love seeing your tithing envelope clipped to the strip by your door.

  • I love your “Wood Eyes.” They are warm and true—just like your Dad’s.

  • While everyone else screams, “SHOTGUN!” while racing to the car, you quietly—without murmuring—get in the back. I love the selflessness I see in you. I am often the surprised beneficiary, enjoying a freshly-mopped kitchen or a Clorox-fresh bathroom. Thank you.

  • I love that you enjoy baking treats for our family and for others. You are so thoughtful and willing to go out of your way to brighten someone’s day with a homemade bit of goodness. (Side note--One of our favorite Emily quotes, when we were talking about social drinking: "I think cupcakes are the social lubricant!")
  • Nothing is quite as satisfying as making a list. I love that you are a planner—a planner of parties, college financing, cleaning jobs, school assignments—you’ve got it all covered with one of your lists. I will miss seeing them posted by your door.

  • I may make fun of it, but deep down I really like your serial-killer handwriting. (If you've seen it, you know what I mean.)

  • I love and appreciate your determination to finance your college education. I see how frustrating it is at times—and wish we could do more to help you—but you never complain or express a sense of entitlement. I’m so proud of your hard work and dedication to making your own way.

So--although I miss the darling little girl who danced in front of the video camera in our old home videos and made goofy faces--and I sometimes feel like time passes all-to-quickly--I love the beautiful young woman you have become.

I thank my Heavenly Father every day for sending you to me.

Happy 20th Birthday, Emily!

8 comments:

Jill said...

What a beautiful birthday post Denise! You have done such a great job with your children. I am always impressed by what I've learned about Charlotte and Emily through their blogs and their comments on mine. They are remarkable women for sure.

Melissa Marilyn said...

This pretty much sums up how awesome Emily is! I'm so grateful to know her too. here's to Senor Burritos, Big Gulps, Kitchen Dancing, and Cleaning Days.

Linda said...

Happy Birthday to your beautiful Emily! She sounds incredible!

Charlotte said...

She's pretty much amazing. Really.

Lee said...

How much do I love this entry. I'm gonna have to steal it from you the next time one of my kids has a birthday. Your a very special lady. God bless, Lee

jt said...

I love, love, LOVE Emily!! One of my favorite people!

Bond Girl 007 said...

ohhhhh what a beautiful post! SOOOOO endearing and beautiful. I have always thought that the name emily is a natural from family .......sooo cute and wise young girl!

Susan said...

Emily is right there at the top, no doubt. I love that girl. And you too.