"You can't judge a recipe's success based on how it turns out during Funeral Week."
These were Emily's words of encouragement to me as I faced this week--a somewhat daunting week which included four major baking assignments, one of which was to make Triple Caramel Cake, pictured above in our first post-Mother attempt.The first task, cookies for Sarah's softball team, was a no-brainer. I can make chocolate chip cookies in my sleep. That was the first project to get crossed off the list, and one I did at about 11:30 Monday night, hoping that since I had already brushed my teeth, perhaps I wouldn't eat the dough. (I also had the good sense to mark the finished bag of cookies as off-limits to the rest of the family.)
The second was Emily's birthday cake--chocolate with White Mountain frosting. Though I can't yet make this one in my sleep, it's still a no-brainer, as it has been a family favorite for years and I've been making it since I was a young teenager. I made this one Tuesday afternoon and was pleased with the result (the cake, that is--no so much the decorative embellishments). Whew! Another one crossed off the list.
I knew I had to start the final two baking projects on Wednesday night if I was going to have them ready in time for a party I was invited to Thursday night. I am not as familiar with either of these recipes, as my mom had been the one to discover and make them in recent years. I would always frost them for her, but had never actually made the cakes myself. I started missing my mom again.
"If we're lucky, the world will end soon!" said Emily in another attempt to reassure me. In response to my questioning look, she clarified, "So we'll be able to see Grandma again and get cake-making tips." With this bit of encouragement, I pressed on and began caramelizing the sugar for the Triple Caramel Cake, and melting the chocolate for the Giant Ding Dong cake. There was no turning back now. (Yes, Miranda--I unabashedly took some Baker's Joy from my mom's stash.)
I finished baking both cakes and took the Ding Dong layers to my Dad's freezer for safe keeping and freshness protection overnight. After work on Thursday I frosted both cakes and was quite pleased with the results.
After some creative maneuvers to figure out how to transport the cakes safely to the party (which included the use of duct tape and a ceramic flower pot, held in place at Emily's feet) we arrived with everything intact!
It looks like I can bake cakes by myself after all.


14 comments:
I had faith in you and knew if anyone could do it, you could!
All of the goodies look delicious, especially the ding dong cake. Oh my word that look wonderful!
P.S. I think you should keep a photo gallery of your baked creations, they would make fabulous photo cards!
Wow, the effort involved with these cakes is baffling to me. I admire this skill greatly and am so glad Michelle makes these cakes often enough that I get to sample them. I am officially in love with the Ding Dong cake!
Those are beautiful specimens of baking prowess. I'm impressed.
Hooray! I can taste the Ding Dong cake now. I'm so glad you go the Baker's Joy. Give me a call if you need more. :) By the way, what chocolate cake recipe did you use for Emily's cake?
They were both amazing!! Thank you so much for making and bringing both of them to Ella's party. It meant so much to me to have part of Charlotte there to celebrate my new little girl. Love you!!
Oh this makes me blue not to be home. Your cakes look absolutely marvelous! You can bake cakes on your own! Love you lots and lots.
Some how I can not imagine Grandma begrudging you the theft of her bakers joy, lol.
And I'm glad that the cakes turned out so well for you! They do look delicious and lovely too!
Aunt Denise have I told you recently that I love you and wish that I could come visit you and the fam in Colorado? because I do and I feel a lot better knowing that I'm not the only one who has cake mishaps :]
Was there ever any doubt that you could make cakes?? They were delicious!
Hi, Denise,
I found your blog off Season's Blog. I'm Jack Dittbrenner's daughter Andrea. I have always admired your talent and your character growing up. I read a lot of your blog and think that you are amazing STILL! I'm sure you hear that all the time though, hopefully it doesn't get old. I sorry to hear about your mothers passing. What a wonderful woman she was. I'm in NY maybe when I'm in PA I should visit your sisters shop for fun!
Found your blog through Jill. I made your mother's Buttermilk Bread for RS Girls Night Out. It was such a huge hit! I gave credit to your mother of course. Thank you for sharing your blog and wonderful talents. Your mother's talents continue to bless the lives of so many. Thank You..
I will be attempting to make that Ding Dong Cake--yummy!
Isn't it about time for a short update :)
...ahhhh the horror of saying aloud, "the ding dong cake"!
Your mother taught you and I never doubted it...
but,it did bring a tear to my eye as well. Love you so.
Post a Comment