I loved every minute of Wedding Week. There is very little, if anything, I would change or do differently. Thanks in large measure to the generosity and kindness of so many good friends and dear family members, my daughter's wedding was everything I had dreamed it would be. And Charlotte herself was the most easy-going, easy-to-please bride you could ever hope to meet. The entire experience was everything a wedding should be, and for that I am grateful.
Wood family, circa 1995 (Photos by Karen Rubin)
Thankfully, we did change somewhat after this first official Wood family portrait taken in the early '90's. Denim shirt buttoned all the way to the top--fuchsia striped jumpsuit buttoned all the way up? What was I thinking?!
Wood family, circa 1992 (photo by Karen Rubin)
Somehow, you think that--once you have all your kids--it's like, Ta-dum! This is my family--this is how it will always be.
Wood family, circa 1998 (Photo by Barbie Jarvis)
And for a while, it is. School milestones, birthdays, holidays and the like come and go in a rather comfortable, cyclical sort of way.
Wood family, circa 2000 (Photo by Paula Woellhaf)
Yes, hairstyles and clothing trends change along the way, but this is our family: four kids--three girls and a boy. My family will always be this way.
Wood family, circa 2004 (Photo by Paula Woellhaf)
And then, before you're even aware of what is happening, the milestones start getting bigger--graduation from high school, acceptance into college, graduation from college. And before you know it, your little girl in the plaid taffeta jumper is wearing high heels and falling in love.
And here's the thing: I wouldn't want it any other way. She has done everything in the right order--she has a fantastically bright future ahead with limitless possibilities. It's what I really want for her, and yet--just for a moment--I wish I could "Stop This Train, I want to get off and go home again."
Wood family, redefined, October 22, 2010 (photo by Michelle Olivier)


10 comments:
Well said, Denise. I felt like I was observing the wedding festivities with an eye toward being a future mother of the bride or groom. Of course you're happy for her, for the good decisions she has made and continues to make. But it's all so bittersweet as well. I wouldn't mind stopping the train for awhile.
I just be over here wiping the tears.
I love your family. I love all these pictures. (One of my favorited things about cleaning your house is looking at the beautiful pictures)
It makes me sad to think of my own babies growing up. I just hope the turn out to be as wonderful as your children.
And cue the waterworks.
I love you so much. Planning this wedding with you has been everything I could have ever hoped for.
And even though the man at the social security office said, "Well, you're no longer a Wood," you know I always will be.
PS--I love the pictures. And I'm glad I don't wear fuchsia jumpsuits anymore.
How much did I love this entry. I cried. Love it.
Lisa
I'm so delighted that everything went so well during Charlotte's wedding week. I can only imagine the amount of planning and preparation that went into it. I have found there is nothing so rewarding to a mom than children who make right choices - and it doesn't hurt when they are beautiful and fine people either :)
Lovely post.
And by the way, those flowers are magnificent!
Love this post. I sometimes miss our all-home-together, polygamist-jumper-clad family. But then I have to remind myself that "the best is yet to be." Even though change is hard.
P.S. Personally, I would kill for another fuchsia jumpsuit. :)
And sorry for my grimace of '98. I was cold.
How in the world could that have only been three weeks ago? So much has happened since, and at the same time, it seems like last week!
Darling family photos, and I like the last one best!
And, some darn good imagery of the flowers, thanks!
There are just so many emotions involved with a post like this, and I feel like I can relate as a daughter and a mother. I'm in the "this is my family--this is how it will always be phase" and yet I can see time marching on daily as my kids are morphing into teenagers. It hurts my heart, yet it's the way it is supposed to be as well so it feels right. It's an emotional nightmare really.
Post a Comment