Felt gratitude to celebrate Thanksgiving with close friends and niece Claire, since family was more sparse than usual. Contrary to premonition of “lame” Thanksgiving, it was not.



Tortured myself perusing “Handmade Holiday” blogs (see
Narrating Life: Here We Go and
Call Me Badger), remembering a time when I used to do that sort of thing and feeling left out because I’m in a different place now. Managed to make one homemade gift: a scrapbook of memorabilia from my mother’s funeral, for my dad.

Started new part-time job for the
City of Wheat Ridge in the Purchasing Department. Lament that shoe shopping is not on my list of purchasing responsibilities, but rejoice in the direct deposit made to my account every two weeks.
Made cinnamon rolls, butterscotch pecan rolls, sugar cookies, pies, toffee pretzels and the best roasted turkey of my lifetime. Hosted Donut Night for John’s choir friends. Rejoice that I have overcome PTPCS: Post-Traumatic-Pie-Crust Syndrome.



Made more taffeta skirts with tulle underskirts than I care to count. (see
A Square with Flair: sweat shop) Lament that I have neglected to return Miranda’s email with pattern questions (see
Vogue 8315 and
Butterick 5032 and I'll talk to you later, Miranda).
Nursed Sarah through tonsillectomy and recovery (see photo,
A Square with Flair). Very glad to have Emily and John home as nursing assistants. Fight sadness that BYU only grants students a two-and-a-half-week Christmas vacation.

Concede that wonders never cease; enjoy reading Mark’s newest blog incarnation and enjoy his attractive layout. (see
Crisis? What Crisis?) Yearn for an updated blog banner myself. Yearn to return to blogging world myself. Agonize over number of unread Google Reader subscriptions.

Enjoy all-too-quick visit from Josh and Charlotte. Still getting used to using the word “son-in-law” in conversation. Really glad they didn’t die or total their car in accident on return trip to Portland (see
minutiae, road tripping ).

Celebrated two birthdays in early January: John's 17th and my Dad's 91st. Can't decide which is more unbelievable to me.

Made it through the holidays with only two bouts of major missing-my-mom grief: one the night before Thanksgiving when faced with pies to make, and the other when taking down Christmas decorations and coming across some sentimental figurines from my childhood.

Laughter returned, however, upon finding this Happy Meal gem hidden in my Christmas tree by Charlotte.

Finally finished reading Mockingjay, the third book of The Hunger Games series (see
minutiae, operation superhuman reader). Wondered if Katniss Everdeen would ever emerge from catatonic state in front of her District 12 fireplace.
Stifle urge to swear while 10-year-old computer is in throes of death. Check email when I can at my dad’s house. Leap for joy when Mark orders new 21” iMac! Wonder in astonished amazement at the new computer’s unprecedented speed. Wonder how often I’ll actually get to use it with John around. . . .

Gear up for new year--2011 here I come! . . . that is, after I put away the Christmas dishes and the rest of the holiday bins. . . .

13 comments:
Love this post. A lot. I had to go back and read it again a time or two.
Love you more than this post. A lot.
Thanks for the update. Love all the news. Miss you :)
Double Yay, Denise! So good to read a post from you. I'm sad that I made you feel left out of Handmade Holidays. A time for everything right? I actually clapped my hands when you included the pattern numbers. I can't wait to talk to you about them! This is the year that sewing is GOING TO HAPPEN. Now I must have pie.
What a lot of delightful things to peruse here! Such a busy, happy time.
Your pie looks beautiful, better than mine ever do. I'm impressed that you made it through the holidays with only 2 incidents of seriously missing Grandma.
I love the tags for this post.
p.s. If that number of unread posts in Google Reader causes you agony, be very glad you can't see mine! (sometimes it just says 1000+)
Awesome update. Jon 17? I rememebr VT with you and discussing "Mo-bi-din" or whatever he used to call his blanket, with Gena Faria. :) So fun.
Well, Happy New Year!
I'm pretty sure all the baking you did for the holidays goes under the Handmade Holiday category. your food is delicious!
John has facial hair! I remember when he was born!!!
It was good to have a catch up for sure. I've been having some real "missing Mom" moments since Christmas.
It sounds like you had a great two months after you left the hub-bub of Black-eyed Susan and a memorable holiday season.
I'm glad you're back on the blogging scene...just wish you were moving into the house for sale next door.
Congratulations on the new job and the direct deposit paychecks every two weeks! My once a month deposits feel way too small for having to wait so long to get them.
Your holidays look great! You always have so much going on, yet everything looks homey and wonderful.
I would be daunted by Goggle reader numbers like that too.
Hooray for a new computer! I hope that awesome monitor and new speed pick up some slack for you and give you a morale boost when you need it.
I made it a resolution to spend more time, or any time, with my blog. I miss you!! And I love reading about your life. You have always been so good to remember to take great pictures!
I don't know how I just now saw this post, but YAY for your return to blogging!
I am so mad that when I signed up with BlogLovin' and added all my blogs- somehow I missed yours. So all this time I thought you just hadn't posted (since Dec. Then Shell mentioned something about a post, I checked, and ?!?! I feel like I've been left out of another family get together or something. So now I will commence to comment on all of them.
So mad I missed them.
Glad you're on the scene. Apparently for a while now...
Post a Comment