Sunday, April 3, 2011

. . . with a little help from my friends

As I marked the one-year anniversary of my Mother's passing, I'm pleased to say that I felt happy. Happy that I know she is alive and well--vibrant and healthy, happy to be safe in the knowledge that she is not far away and that I will be with her again, and mostly happy that it is not one year ago. And one more thing I know for sure: Mom would want me to be happy.

I have also felt the strength of the Savior's injunction to "mourn with those who mourn, and comfort those who stand in need of comfort." Knowing that many of you were joining me in the Bread Brigade (so dubbed by Jessie) was strengthening to me, as were the many kind expressions sent by friends and family alike. I was touched by how many of my friends remembered the anniversary of her death and reached out to me with loving arms; it makes me want to be more mindful of and kind to others who need love and comfort.

Susan sent me this darling framed piece--a happy reminder of Mother's artistry in the kitchen--

that I placed in my kitchen here:

I made Buttermilk Bread on Thursday night and my Dad and I delivered it to three of Mom's close friends. Regrettably, I forgot to take any pictures. I made another batch on Saturday and we delivered loaves to a few ward members between General Conference sessions.

On Friday, after buying some beautiful roses, we drove to the cemetery to place them on Mother's grave.

Karen, Daniel (her husband, not pictured), John, and Sarah came along, too.


On the way home we had to pull over to take a picture of this sign we had spotted at a high-class establishment on our way to the cemetery:

Apparently, there wasn't enough room on the other side of the sign for the whole word.

Mom would have laughed, too.

I love you so much, Mom. I miss you terribly, but want you to know that I'm getting by--with a little help from my friends.

9 comments:

Paula said...

Been thinking of you this weekend.
Miss you!

Susan said...

Thanks for the post. I love the bread brigade idea. What a great tribute for your mom.

I also love the "I like cake" sign.

That sign is missing letters on both signs (unless aparments is a new word I don't know about).

Thanks for blogging. Two posts in a week is like Christmas.

Lee said...

I prayed for you and Susan when I read Susan's blog. Two weeks ago was my dads year anniv. I miss him so much and his peaceful way of being. I do get comfort from reading about your mom.
Love
Lisa

michelle said...

I love it. I loved being part of the Bread Brigade. It was a happy day of remembrance for me as well.

I'm dying over Emily's Apartment(s).

Denise said...

Susan--that is hilarious! I hadn't even noticed the blatant misspelling, just the lack of plural on the one side. Charlotte will have a fit!

Susan said...

I too, felt a great deal of comfort and joy in fond memories as well as knowing I will be with Mother again. I love her wide spread influence and wide fan base. I love her and I love you.

One year down. I think we'll make it.

Jill said...

Even though I failed in my bread brigade efforts because my banana bread wasn't worthy of giving away, I am so glad I participated (my kids loved the bread even though the outside was overdone). Your mother left such a legacy and I am so fortunate to have gotten to spend time with her.

Charlotte said...

I'm so glad that your friends are always there to give you a little help. And I love the misspelled apartment sign (you know I could never live in such a place). Also, I don't think I love a picture of you and Grandma more than the one in the kitchen.

Love you so much.

Gena said...

I had to smile when you said you wished you had remembered to take pictures. That seems to be the story of my life, and you've always been an inspiration to me. The pictures you took are wonderful. Love you!