Friday, April 15, 2011

steppin' out

Just when I'm coming to terms with having a daughter who's married and another almost through college, my son--my little blonde-haired boy--goes to Prom. And his date has cleavage.

Don't get me wrong--she's a very nice girl--I really like her, and I'm all for going to Prom, it's just that how did John get old enough to go?

I decided to make a fancy vest for him to wear with his black (choir) tux. I was able to buy fabric for the vest and bow tie, a nice tuxedo shirt from Jos. A Banks, and a beautiful set of gold cuff links/shirt studs for less than it would have cost to rent an outfit. And let me tell you, my little boy looked pretty studly. His date was happy, too, because I managed to custom-match her gold dress.

I made sure he had a pretty corsage to give his date (though I did have to remove a considerable amount of gobby ribbon. Yes, those are gold rhinestones and a pearl bracelet. Apparently corsages have come a long way since the early '80's.

Look at her beautiful 'do!

And I guess John will always be my little boy, even though he now towers over me at 6'5". *sigh*

7 comments:

Claire said...

My, what a snazzy vest John has!
It is strange how children (or siblings in my case) get older. John went to Prom! Maren is graduating high school! What is the world coming to?

Lee said...

How beautiful you guys look. Love it. Prince William eat your heart out.
Lisa

Charlotte said...

So dapper! I can't believe John is old enough to have a date and go to prom. I'm feeling like a really old sister now.

everything pink! said...

I LOVE the color of her dress!

Gena said...

John has always been a terrific guy. I love seeing the grown up he's becoming (I almost said "become" but that's a few years off). And, as always, you did a beautiful job on the outfit. Love the picture of him towering over you ;)

Serin said...

Best line of this post = "And his date has cleavage." LOL!

Marianne said...

Hot Stuff! Denise, I have to say that I was at work last week when I was stopped dead in my tracks by a sweet fragrance. It instantly reminded me of you and your Mom. I literally stopped everything and went searching for whatever it was that smelled like you :). I found a handmade "Ginger Breeze" candle close by and concluded that it was the source. I might have to buy it...(woah, sounds a little stalker-y).