Today was not just the last day of school for the year, but the end of an era for our family at Prospect Valley Elementary--the end of 17 continuous years as parents of children attending the school. I snagged this photo from the school's website, hence the grainy quality.
I wanted to make something for the teachers before the year ended to show my appreciation for the years they have spent teaching my children. And really, what says love more than a basketful of homemade cookies (Ranger and Quadruple Chocolate)?
Sarah's 6th Grade Continuation was held in the morning and lasted nearly two hours (about 45 minutes too long in my estimation). We were sitting too far back to get very good pictures, but I managed to hold my camera up high enough above the heads in the crowd to snap this one of her getting her certificate. I will not miss the ambiance of the cafeteria/gym that doubles as an auditorium.
Afterwards there was a reception on the front lawn, where I snapped a few photos. Sadly, Sarah was one of the few girls in the sixth grade who was not dressed like a sleazy cocktail waitress.
I cajoled John into coming along despite the fact that he was suffering from extreme fatigue, having been "kidnapped" at 3:30 a.m. by graduating seniors from his show choir as a deranged sort of "welcome" into the group (never mind that next year will be his third year in the group).
We made one last trip into Sarah's classroom to pick up her report card and to say goodbye to her teacher Miss Rutledge.
It cracked me up that Sarah had to rip open the envelope containing her report card the minute we walked outside of the classroom. I think she wanted to check to make sure that her assigned grade for next year really is the seventh.
Thankfully, any concerns were quickly assuaged.
While I can honestly say that I have had my fill of carnivals, field days, sock hops, homeroom parties--and I certainly will not miss the snarled morning and afternoon traffic--I nevertheless must confess to having a slight catch in my throat as we walked away from the school grounds for the last time, knowing that next Fall we won't be coming back.
Thanks, Prospect Valley, for being a constant in our family's life for the past 17 years. You've been good to us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 comments:
Oh this post gave me a catch in my chest a little bit. I can't believe Sarah is continuing from sixth grade! She looks so grown up, and it's so fun to see our family in this new grown-up-ish phase. Even though I've been gone from PVE for many, many years now, it's kind of sad to think that the Woods won't be coming back.
Denise you look absolutely beautiful in that photo. I love your hair. Lisa
I love it that you made cookies for for the elementary school faculty to thank them for all those years of teaching your kids! What a great idea, I'm going to do that when Whitney graduates in a couple years.
I know what you mean about the sleazy cocktail dresses the girls wear, I see them on the 7th graders sometimes and I'm highly disturbed that their mothers let them wear them!
Sarah looks so lovely! I love her outfit. Congratulations to Sarah on making it in to 7th grade!
We have a cafeteria/gym/auditorium as well! Lucas's 6th grade graduation was on Tuesday, and I had a little catch in my throat, even though Eva still has 6 more years there...
Sarah looks so beautiful and grown-up! And I was so relieved she was not wearing a sleazy cocktail dress.
Now that it's been a few days is the smallest feeling of relief overcoming you? And I'm sure there are some classier places that would be happy to have Sarah as a cocktail waitress ;)
Quite a milestone, indeed. It sounds really wonderful and part of a good heritage to have all of your children attend the same school! That's cool. I'm sure each of your children has had an impact on the faculty and have stood as fine examples of your family.
Sarah is looking way too old! Jr. High. Oh, dear. Could be good,could be bad!
Congratulations to Sarah! Quite a history for you as a carpooling mother. Good work!
Knowing how involved you were, I suspect that PVE will miss YOU more than you will miss them :)
*Tears* Talk about milestones!
Post a Comment