Wednesday, October 5, 2011

happy birthday Mom!

What better way to honor the woman who instilled within me a deep appreciation for and love of real butter than to make a cake that contains almost two pounds of it?


I opted to not put the jam between the layers, in deference to family members who wouldn't like it.


I've been wanting to try making real buttercream, and that's where over a pound of the butter went.


The recipe made a LARGE batch of frosting-all the better for tasting. Please overlook the smears of frosting on the cakeplate.


The cake was just this side of overbaked, which was irritating, but was still tasty. I mean really, with all that butter it couldn't be horrible.


Happy birthday, Mom!

10 comments:

Miranda said...

That is one gorgeous cake Denise. And real buttercream...it can't be beat.

Lee said...

Yeah, your back. We missed ya! The cake looks great Denise.
Lisa

Lindasj said...

Yum! Where's my piece?

Mary said...

Is there any left? YUM!

Charlotte said...

Oh heavens, that does look divine. That buttercream sure does make for a pretty cake.

I want to retry a cake this weekend. Maybe.

Unknown said...

Yum! The hospital food I have been having has certainly made me miss mother all the more! She would definitely not approve! I started my cake for her birthday a few days early so as to be completely ready to celebrate...then had the distraction of the ER room. Ugh. But, I choose a rather complicated dark (I mean SUPER dark) chocolate cake with french merange filling and salted caramel icing! A Pinterest recipe. I'm looking forward to completing it and will celebrate when I can. I spent a sentimental day remembering and missing our sweetest, dearest mother. Miss you too.

michelle said...

Beautiful. I was disappointed that I couldn't make one on her birthday, but I have plans for this week!

Ande said...

Oh I'm so glad you found my blog. I really just adore Charlotte--though I've never met her.

Dumb Dinner Night sounds like a great plan! I think I will definitely be using it! Thank you!

I also love that you are a family of cake bakers. I love the tradition you carry on from your Mother's legacy of cakes.

Paula said...

I was sure I left a comment on this - Did you get it?

Jill said...

That looks so fantastic!