Wednesday, April 14, 2010

tender mercies

As I resume the routines of my life, defining a new "normal" without the steadfast presence of my mother, I confess I have been somewhat daunted in approaching my first post-funeral blog post. Michelle, Jessie, Susan, Emily, Charlotte, and Claire have done so in ways that are at once moving and comforting. I find it a bit overwhelming, however, to try to recount and capture all of my feelings of the past two weeks so I have decided instead to focus on the "tender mercies" of the past two weeks--those gifts that the Lord has given me throughout this sad time to buoy me up and reaffirm that I am loved by Him and that He is mindful of my needs.

A few years ago (well, five to be exact) Elder Bednar gave a Conference talk I have never forgotten titled The Tender Mercies of the Lord. In it he quotes a scripture from the Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi 1:20:

"But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.” Elder Bednar goes on to say, ". . I testify that the tender mercies of the Lord are real and that they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence."

Mother always said that gratitude was the least stressful emotion to experience, and I have found this to be instrumental in my grieving process. When I feel empty and sad I need only start listing the Tender Mercies shown me to feel better. Here are some with which I have been blessed over the past two weeks:

  • Mother didn't linger with disability or suffer long. I know without doubt that this is the way she ultimately wanted to go.
  • My birthday was just three days before her collapse. I spent the entire day with her, shopping, cooking, and doing the things we loved to do together. She made a German Chocolate cake that was nearly 6" tall--my favorite kind of cake and her best ever.
  • She died in the Spring--Easter weekend to be exact, reminding us all of the gift of the Atonement and resurrection. I'm so grateful that my first months without her will be full of bright sunny days and budding life outside. I'm also glad to have several months of adjustment before I have to face my first-ever holiday season without her.
  • I was out of town when she collapsed and went to the hospital. While this may not necessarily seem like a good thing, in retrospect I am so grateful that I was with my dear sister Susan when we got the news that she would not live. There was nothing I could have done (more than was already being done) to help or save her had I been here, and having the strength of my sister's love was such a comfort.
  • Although we had no idea where one of my sisters has been living in the Denver area, we were able to locate her in time for her to see Mother before she died and to all be present at the time of Mother's death.
  • I have friends who would do--and have done--anything I've asked or needed of them, at the time that I really needed it. I am incredibly humbled to be the recipient of so much compassionate service, so freely and lovingly given.
  • The day Mother died in hospice care her nurse just happened to be one of my good friends from high school--someone who knew what a beautiful, gracious, and kind woman Mother was.
  • I have always said that if either of my parents died tomorrow, my kids would have firmly-grounded memories of them as an everyday part of their lives. Because we have been privileged to live near my parents for the past 21 years, my children will carry many fond and happy memories of their Grandma.
  • I have no regrets in my relationship with my mother.
  • When Susan and I went to select flowers for the casket arrangement and luncheon tables, we were told we could come back the day before the service to pick out the luncheon flowers and glass containers. When we arrived to do so, no one had any idea what we were talking about and the wholesale part of the florist--the part we needed--was closed. Miraculously--and I mean miraculously--we got what we needed anyway.
  • Mother was buried in a military cemetery (my Dad served in the Navy). The "graveside" service was actually held in a glassed-in pavilion and when it was over I felt somewhat disconcerted to drive off leaving my mother's casket behind. The funeral director drove us past the place where Mother's grave was being prepared so we would know where to look for it the next time we came. We parked for minute to note the location in the cemetery. As we sat in the car looking on, we noticed an arrangement of flowers being pulled out of the back of a black van parked near the newly-dug grave. They looked a lot like Mother's flowers, but no--we thought, that couldn't possibly be hers. Then workers pulled a beautiful pecan casket out of the van and placed it on the scaffolding above the grave. It was indeed Mother's casket and we got to see it being lowered into the ground. I have no idea how the arrival of Mother's casket to the graveside preceded ours, but it was a gift of closure and peace--to me, but especially to my father--to witness its descent into the newly-turned earth.
  • As I sat down to begin writing this post this morning, I found this treat that had been left in my carry-on bag from my trip home from Philadelphia:

Again, quoting Elder Bednar:

"We should not underestimate or overlook the power of the Lord’s tender mercies. The simpleness, the sweetness, and the constancy of the tender mercies of the Lord will do much to fortify and protect us in the troubled times in which we do now and will yet live. When words cannot provide the solace we need or express the joy we feel, when it is simply futile to attempt to explain that which is unexplainable, when logic and reason cannot yield adequate understanding about the injustices and inequities of life, when mortal experience and evaluation are insufficient to produce a desired outcome, and when it seems that perhaps we are so totally alone, truly we are blessed by the tender mercies of the Lord and made mighty even unto the power of deliverance." (see 1 Ne. 1:20)

Today I give thanks for the Lord's tender mercies.

12 comments:

Claire said...

I love that talk. Whenever I look back upon the tender mercies of the Lord I am always struck by how personal they are. I'm so glad that we have a loving Heavenly Father and Savior who are aware of the things we need.

Diana said...

I have been praying that you'd feel comfort. This post is beautiful not many people can say they have no regrets in the relationship they have with their mother.
I know I've never met you in real life but I feel as if I know you. I wish I could give you a big hug right now.

michelle said...

This is beautiful, Denise. The perfect way to tell about the events of the last couple of weeks – it's so wonderful and so hopeful to be able to recognize the ways in which the Lord cares for us and shows us his love when we need it most.

I too have been feeling so grateful that Grandma died over Easter weekend. I have a new level of tenderness for the Savior and Easter will never be the same (in a good way).

Jill said...

It's amazing to read about all these tender mercies. The Lord truly designed the perfect exit for your sweet, sweet mother. I know everyone who loves your family is grateful for these tender mercies as well, because we all know how much your mother means to your family at how devastating the loss would be. It is comforting to know her departure was surrounded in love from her family and that you all had each other to lean on.

Charlotte said...

I love this post, Mom. I love how this experience has helped us see the many, many blessings in our lives and realize how much the Lord loves each of us. I love you.

emily said...

I love this post, too. It's such a strong, beautiful reminder. The Lord loves us so much. It is a blessing to be able to see how many people have helped us and been used as instruments in the Lord's hands.

Susan said...

Well, I haven't had a good cry for a day or two...until tonight.

Thank you for this reminder and testimony of tender mercies.I think it was the perfect post and one that mother would truly love and support.

You are the closest thing to mother that I know and love and I am so thankful that I know and love you. I agree with Michelle that Easter will havde a greater measure of tender appreciation from this time forward.

Lee said...

Your blog entry "Post-funeral entry was very helpful for me. You see I saw my dad 24-7 because he lived in my home too. I keep looking for him. Thanks for that entry. Love Lisa
PS. I shall continue praying for you and your fam

Miranda said...

This post is so beautiful Denise. You did an amazing job of documenting the sad but beautiful events of your week. I love the talks you referenced...thanks for sharing.

Bond Girl 007 said...

oh Denise....what a beautiful post. It is amazing sometimes to see all that the Lord has blessed us with, especially with wonderful parents. You indeed a recipient of such. Thinking of you and your beautiful mum.

Season and Isabella said...

Denise,
Such a beautiful post. Your mom was nothing short of a class act all the time. I loved knowing her and knowing you and your cute family. Thinking of you all.
Season

Season and Isabella said...

oh p.s. Forgot to say congrats to Charlotte! I know she won't remember us, but Tim and I sure remember her and wanted to pass that along- What a cute couple! happy planning!