Really, what can be better than hanging out with cousins?
I was fascinated by the beautiful colors and textures of the rocks in Waterton Lake.
They are the same colors as many of the walls in my house!
(I took this picture for you, Susan.) The water was freezing, but oh-so clear and refreshing!

the boxes full of wedding-guest gift basket goodies waiting to be assembled in a cute and alluring presentation, and . . .
. . . then there's Exhibit C1: Sewing, Sewing, and MORE SEWING!
The summer began with a very large drapery project (pictured, in part, above). Five dresses, one skirt, one jacket, and two table cloths later I still haven't made a MOB (mother-of-the-bride) dress that's fit to be seen in public. I've decided to play it safe and go with my favorite dress pattern, made this time in an iridescent silk taffeta (vermilion and pink tones).
Sewing yet-to-be-completed: three skirts, one MOB dress, one temple dress (possibly to be remade in better, more comfortable fabric), and seven decorator pillows (the latter of which are for clients--not for me).
Exhibit D: New (actually quite old) furniture found on Craig's List!
It's amazing what the thought of having company will do to open your eyes to the atrocities around your house. My sun room furniture, some 21 years old, had been recovered once and was looking a little worse for the wear. I found these two pieces on Craig's List. I won't be able to have them recovered before the wedding, but believe me--they're much cuter and in better shape than what I had. You'll just have to trust me on this one.


While going through some of my mother's belongings, I came across her current temple recommend. It doesn't expire until the end of September. I love knowing that--at the age of 83--my mother died the worthy bearer of a temple recommend.
I think that Mom is really helping me out on the cake-making front. Sarah's chocolate cake with yellow-tinted White Mountain frosting was one of my better efforts.

Exhibit H: Back to School
Emily is back in Provo and Charlotte moved to Portland to start job-hunting. *sigh* Thank goodness I still have Sarah and John at home to keep things interesting!


12 comments:
I figured you had been busy, but I had no idea HOW busy! Great post. I loved the rocks at the lake. I've never seen anything like that. I love the style of your new furniture - big improvement!
Miss you :)
Thanks for this happy post! I love the picture of you and sarah. :) Though I love remembering the summer, I still wish that we could get Big Gulps together and cloister ourselves among the sewing and ironing in the basement. Love you!
I pretty much love this post! Exhibit C is my favorite (obviously). Wedding, wedding, wedding. Love it. Love you.
I miss you. I miss you. I miss you. (And I just live down the street...)
I will come iron the table cloths! (I miss your mom too as if that is any consolation).
I can't believe how sweet Sarah is becoming, she was so fun to talk to when I brought her home from school the other day. And what a cute, I mean ADORABLE picture of you and Sarah!
Please call or text if there is anything I can do for you. You can hold my little girl and I can iron. How does that sound?! I'm just going to stop by one day and bug you until you let me help with something....
Wow, you are busy! I'm tired just reading all that. Great update! What fun places in life all your children are in and you are getting to bask in as their mom! Enjoy! I know Charlotte and Emily won't remember me, but have just fallen in love with them again through their blogs. What great girls! Thanks for sharing and hang in there! :)
That pile of tablecloths is very telling. So sad. The picture of Grandma's temple recommend put a catch in my throat. I miss her so much, I can't imagine what's it like for you since you were with her and talked to her every day...
The wedding prep pictures are so happy!
Holy cow, that is a lot of sewing. I am in awe of your skills.
I wish Grandma would help me with my cakes. I want to make the triple caramel cake and have it turn out!
Such a darling sp of you and Sarah.
It has been years since our Provo days, but you are still the same, amazing Denise! I still have and use some of your recipes! I'm thinking I need to get some of your cake and frosting recipes.
I am so happy that you are posting again, but I can see why it took you a while to get back at it! The wedding preparations will be done just in time for...Thanksgiving and Christmas!
I giggled thinking about those rocks and how Emily carried them around in her purse for quite sometime. What a good daughter! Love you guys!!
Even though I'm not much better, I must admit that I was almost to give up on a new post!
Wow, that's a lot to take in.
Cute photos to be sure and I agree with Michelle, that I had a tear in my eye viewing Mom's reommend. (At first, I thought it was young Charlotte's!)
How and when did little Sarah get to be 12?! Holy moly...another birthday I let get away from me. Sad,sad,sad, so sad, very sad, SAD. I have a great pile of the cutest jewelry "sorts" to send and will promise to get to it next week. What happened? I never used to let birthdays go to the dogs....
one last comment...I see someone is trying a new hairdo!. What the?! It looks great!
I'm looking forward to the wedding too. That being said, it's going to be a crazy fall....
I love this post Denise. I really miss you and I've missed your posts.That pile of presents + cake is absolutely gorgeous. I miss your mom too...I think about her all the time. I really REALLY want to learn to sew your favorite dress pattern someday. I really love that dress.
wow wow wow wow....what a cute post. Soooo many things done! I love what Michelle and your sister said, about your mum. One of the hightlights of my summer was meeting you, even for a brief time.....so CARRY on, and get going on the MOB dress...I think it will be fabulous. As long as you don't show up like Hilary Clinton....what was she thinking with that dress and hair do! Oh, well, I think she looked very happy to see her daughter get married, that is what is most important.....so sending you good cheers and a ton of creativity. I think it will be a great fall......love the spt!
I know exactly what you mean about having your eyes opened to the atrocities in your house when faced with the prospect of company coming. It's both a good thing and a bad thing. Score on the Craig's List furniture!
That's a darling picture of you and Sarah!
Post a Comment