Thursday, August 21, 2008

"Get your hands off of my corn fritters!"

The closest thing my family usually comes to going out for dinner is bringing home a take-and-bake pizza from Papa Murphy's. So you can see why we were quite excited when my mom and dad informed us earlier this month that they wanted to take us all out for dinner before the girls left for school. We decided on our favorite family restaurant, White Fence Farm, where the specialty is fried chicken served family style. They serve these delicious corn fritters that are worth the trip alone--I think John ate at least three dozen single-handedly.

Our waiter Ray was sweet to bring us an extra bowlful to take home for breakfast. He told us about one time when he was clearing someones table, he began to reach for the near-empty bowl of corn fritters, and was taken aback when an older woman made a menacing gesture with her fork and hissed, "Keep your hands off of my corn fritters!" He has been careful ever since.
Eating at White Fence Farm, however, is about much more than just the food. The grounds are beautiful, complete with play structures, a petting zoo, gazebo, a pond with ducks, several cute gift shops, and a large indoor slide (not at all Chuck E. Cheese-y, thankfully). I enjoyed watching Sarah have so much fun and tried to pretend I was Jill and Michelle--camera around my neck--unabashedly snapping photos. At one point when Charlotte, Emily and I were taking a self portrait, I suggested that perhaps we should step out the main traffic path to avoid annoying other restaurant patrons. To this Charlotte hastily replied, "Self portraiture stops for no man!" My favorite quote from the evening.

I love this picture of Mark and Sarah sharing a secret on the duck pond bridge.

And John made me laugh when he posed as Sherlock Holmes in one of the gift shops.

Aside from feeling too full and vowing (at least until tomorrow morning) that I'll never eat again, it was a fantastic evening. Thanks, mom and dad.

10 comments:

Melissa Marilyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa Marilyn said...

Way to go cybergirl! This will be a great way for the girls and you to keep up with one another while they are away at school. I especially love that all of the shoes in your photo actually belong to you. You may even inspire me to keep up with my blog. :)

Those corn fritters are calling my name- no fair!

charlotte said...

Pretty much, last night was an amazing, photo-taking-filled, wonderland, fried chicken adventure.

Jill said...

Denise I'm so proud of you for wearing your camera around your neck and for unabashedly taking self-portraits! Really, who cares what anyone else thinks?!

Those corn fritters look and sound so tasty. I love it that that woman got feisty with the waiter and said, "Keep your hands off of my corn fritters!" I've never had cause to say that, but if I'm ever in Denver I must go there so I can try them and possibly say that.

Paula said...

Great post! I love taht picture of John! Perfectly framed :)

michelle said...

Look at you keeping your camera on hand and documenting your fun dinner! I am a firm believer that documentation makes every event and any day better -- you start to realize that fun and funny and good things happen in your life, and on a regular basis. Even the difficult things seem a tiny bit more manageable when recorded and shared.

Not one but two great quotes in one night! I'm sure I'll have occasion to use Charlotte's...

michelle said...

p.s. Sarah looks even more like you than usual in that darling photo!

Susan said...

Couldn't we all just "step off the edge" as our Mother says (!) right now and live together in celestial bliss???!! I take that back, I might not qualify just yet...

Great photos of Mom and Dad with everyone, great shots of all!

And lastly, I'm recording right now in my notebook that Jill would be interested in corn fritters!!

Susan said...

Okay, I have to figure out how to post as Susan! sorry...

April said...

I love, love, love that picture of Mark and Sarah! It is too precious!