Sunday, February 22, 2009

on the mend

Thanks to the aforementioned miraculous camera healing (and also thanks to a brief and much-needed break from my sewing machine) I can finally post the photos I wanted to from last week (a couple in this post, and a lot in a post later tonight).

Mom kindly posed for this hospital photo. She wanted to hold out her hands like a zombie, but I made her place them in this rather sad, invalid-like way, enhanced by the flattering glow of the fluorescent lights.

She was released from the hospital late Tuesday afternoon and has spent the rest of the week recuperating at home. Many friends have called or come by with well-wishes, flowers, dinners, etc. She has quite a large fan base. On Tuesday morning (day after tomorrow) we have an appointment with the pain specialist, who will administer an epidural treatment of cortisone or some other such drug. The procedure is considered a surgical one, but is done on an out-patient basis. I'm hoping and praying that she can get some long-term relief from this treatment.

Here is the picture I like the best--my darling parents holding hands. Mom actually went to Sacrament Meeting with us this morning and she and Dad kindly obliged me this photo when I went to do Mom's makeup prior to church. Tell me, what 82-year-old do you know who wears leopard print so well?

While she still isn't feeling entirely well, she really wanted to attend church and partake of the Sacrament (she has missed the past two weeks). I am always inspired by my mother's commitment to the Savior and feel blessed to have her example of diligence in my life.

6 comments:

michelle said...

Rockin' the leopard indeed! There is no one like her, certainly no other 82 year old!

I'm cracking up over Grandma wanting to hold her hands out like a zombie... and equally inspired by her devotion, and yours to them.

Charlotte said...

Grandma totally rocks the leopard! Like Michelle, I laughed out loud at the mental image of Grandma holding her hands out like a zombie! I love you and Grandma both--you both are such strong examples of devotion and faith to me.

Susan said...

It takes my breath away that Mom would even think of being funny when she is in so much pain! She always has such a good attitude when it comes to illness and pain, yet the photos of her sweet hands look so frail.

I have prayed for you and her each and every day. Thank you for caring for her the way each of us would if we could be there. I feel a debt of gratitude to you that cannot be expressed. I love you. Thank you. You really are their lifeline.

Linda said...

So glad to hear that your mother is on the mend. You sound like such a caring, devoted daughter Denise...you both are very lucky indeed!

Bond Girl 007 said...

wow that picture of your parents honding hands...had me smitten...at first I thought it was a picture of them in their younger years, but upon close inspection to picture or text...it made it all the more remarkable. This is what love is, this is what we all are about

Diana said...

oh my that picture of your parents holding hands is perfect. It really touched me.
You should summit it in a contest or something.
Glad your Mom is home.