After spending the greater part of the past three days in the hospital and on the telephone (or so it seems) I have chosen--at Charlotte's suggestion--to update my family on my mother's health via blogging. Ah--the wonders of the modern age!
Mom came home from the hospital late this afternoon, after a three-day/two-night stay. She arrived at the Emergency Room early Sunday afternoon via ambulance (her second trip to the ER in two days) to be treated for intense pelvic pain and also heart pain. Our first trip on Friday morning was rather unproductive. I highly recommend arriving by ambulance and having heart trauma if you want to move to the front of the ER queue and be treated in a timely manner.
After x-rays and an MRI, all the "bad" things have been ruled out, i.e., cancerous growths, infection, etc. Thankfully, surgery is not the recommended course of treatment for mom, as I don't think she could stand to go through another major surgery. Of course, neither do I think she could stand to continue living in the extreme, intense pain she has been in. While in the hospital she was treated with high-end pain killers and muscle relaxants and was completely immobile in bed. She feels much better now, though still in a bit of pain and rather worn out.
The primary care doctor is referring us to a Pain Specialist (I didn't know there were such titled doctors--shouldn't they all be pain specialists?) who is also an anesthesiologist. He will likely administer an epidural dose of cortisone, which is proven effective in treating her type of pain. I have made the necessary calls to get this plan in motion and am waiting to hear from her cardiologist, who also has to sign off on the plan. Hopefully she will receive this treatment sometime next week. Meanwhile, with adequate rest and medication (not to mention the replacement of the hideous hospital gown with cute satin pajamas) she will hopefully be moderately comfortable until then.
As always, her spirits are good, her attitude upbeat, and her humor in-tact. She was a popular patient on her floor. Dad is the most relieved to have her home, as he seems quite lost without her constant presence.
I actually had the presence of mind to pack along my camera this morning to the hospital, planning to take a few photos for documentation purposes. I took a picture of her sweet, gnarled little hands with the IV inserted--for a melodramatic effect. I was then planning to follow with a picture--at home--of Mom and Dad's hands together, as they are often to be found holding hands for comfort's sake. Sadly (very, very sadly) when I was packing up her belongings today in the hospital room and heading down to bring Dad's car around to pick her up, I found--much to my horrified dismay--that the almost-full water bottle I had tossed into my my purse at the last minute did not have the lid fastened on tightly. The entire contents of my large black-patent bag were soaked through, including my camera, which now flickers and sputters when turned on. I just can't talk about that any more right now.
I'll keep you posted on her progress. Thanks for all your love and prayers--I really appreciate the strength I feel from you and I know Mom does, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 comments:
Thanks for keeping us all posted. I so wish I could be there to help out, but my prayers will just have to do for now. =)
I actually gasped when I read about your camera. Mom, I'm so sorry. I am feeling so much pain for you right now; I've felt the pain of liquid damage to beloved electronics, and it's tough.
Thanks for keeping everything together at home. Knowing that you're in charge of anything is always so reassuring to me, whether it be ward activities (because I know you'll provide tablecloths) or family matters. I know that you often find yourself the carrier of many burdens, and I know that it must be hard. Thank you for never dropping them and doing so much for everyone around you. I love you so much.
Thanks for the update via blog :) You're such an amazing daughter to your parents--I hope I can be just as an amazing daughter to you.
And regarding your camera--I'll seriously mention it in my prayers tonight. For real.
oh your camera... tragic, really I am so sorry...
Thank you for the update on Charlotte. I have been, and will continue, to pray for her and you and all the Wood/Peterson clan. _Please_ call if I can do anything, really.
I had no idea she was in the hospital, I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm glad there's a pain specialist on the case and Satin pajamas as well.
I will have several moments of silence for your saturated camera...swing low.
So glad for the update. I love you to the bottom of my heart for taking care of Mom and Dad and being so close. I pray for your stamina multiple times daily! I wish I were there too.
Sounds like Mom is in much better shape and hopefully will continue to improve. She is such a trooper about pain and sickness! I want to be like that. I know that your life right now is so busy and I realize the sacrafice you make, willingly, to be "the mom" now to them. Thankyou.
As for the camera....sad, sad, sad, very sad, soooooo sad, SAD! Once I dropped my hi tech phone in the toilette!! After sufficiently drying out (several days....) it worked just fine! Maybe you should take it in to the camera shop......Fred just realized that he has "misplaced" (lost...) his small very NICE digital camera. Oh, dee!
Call if you want to. I won't worry if I don't hear from you.
Thanks and my real love and appreciation to you, sweetest sister of mine.
I have no doubt that Grandma was a popular patient -- sunbeam for Jesus and all... I'm glad that she is more comfortable now and that Grandpa no longer has to flounder on his own.
You are a wonder to me, Denise, with all that you do. Now I see that you are sustained by the prayers of many. And after reading those comments from your daughters -- well, I hope to have such wonderful parenting rewards someday!
The camera. Oh dee. Maybe a technological miracle is in order.
I'm so glad for the update. Please tell Charlotte hello for me and that she is in my prayers.
As for your camera...there are no painkillers for that, and I am truly sorry.
My prayers are with you today and your mom and susan and your dad. I shall keep them in my prayers and ask that your mom is pain free. So sorry to hear about her being sick.
Love Lee
Sorry to hear your mom has had a tough week. You DO have the cutest parents on the planet.
There may be hope for the camera. Open it up and let it dry out for a few days. The electronics may dry out. The fact that it flickers is a good sign. This has worked for me when I've gotten electronics wet. Well...except when I dropped my iPod in the toilet...but surely, it couldn't have gotten THAT saturated. The only thing I got out of that is a funny story, and believe me, I'm milking it for all it's worth.
If the camera doesn't come back, I'd happily chip in for a new one...it would be like paying a little subscription fee for your excellent blog, otherwise I'd miss your SPs.
Hang in there.
So sorry to hear about your mom - and YOU. It does seem at time we are pushed to our very limit doesn't it. Just got back to CO from AZ last night. Let me know if I can help.
oh no...i hope she is doing much better...what a way to spend valentines...well she for sure left some at the hospital it seems. good to hear that everything is going well, better. i am so sorry for your camera. there is nothing to dampen anything worse than that...materially speaking. I hope your mum recuperates soon. Your dad must be happy now to have her near.
oh Denise I am so sorry to hear about your mother. I've never met her but I have so much respect and love for her from everything Jessie and Charlotte and your blog has said about her.
I hope things get better for her soon. She'll be in my prayers.
Post a Comment