Monday, March 23, 2009

bananagrams

What do bananas, problem solving, and Family Home Evening have in common? Thanks to a fun new game my friend Ann gave me, we had a great time together last night combining all three.

I have known Ann since kindergarten and have remained friends--best buds, even--all through high school. I credit her for keeping in touch through the years and look forward to seeing her when she comes through Denver to visit family. She happened to be here this weekend and was able to come for Sunday dinner. She's one of those friends who I can pick up with right where I left off, with no awkwardness or aggravation of reacquainting.

She told us about this fun word game called Bananagrams which is sort of like Scrabble, but played individually, making crossword-type configurations. (She said that the game itself has very little to do with bananas except for the bag it comes in). Before she left town she brought by a gift for my birthday--my very own Bananagrams game!

We played it that night (Sunday) and again last night for FHE. I even managed to work in a pre-game discussion about problem solving in our lives--the need for looking at a given problem or trial from multiple points of view in order to solve or even to just get through it. We talked about coping strategies and had quite a productive conversation.

Here is one of Mark's winning rounds:

And here's the rest of the gang:

I can't wait until Michelle gets here; I think this game is right up her alley! I love Scrabble, but don't play much anymore since my Scrabble partner mother can no longer see to play. Playing this game reminds me of how much I like word games. I give it five stars!

7 comments:

michelle said...

Hooray for a new game! I totally want to play it -- this weekend! (Can you tell I'm excited?)

Ann looks exactly like I remember her.

Jill said...

That looks like our version of Speed Scrabble, except it looks like you get more letters to work with. That will be fun for you and Michelle and Susan to play.

emily said...

That looks way fun! I'm excited to give it a go this summer. =) Love you!

Charlotte said...

ShamWow I'm in!

Gena said...

Excellent new word game... care to tell me where one can find it?

ps. I'm SO lame! I forgot another crop night!

pps. check out my blog for a bit of good news...

Diana said...

ooh looks fun! WE play pick 2 with our scrabble pieces I like it a lot more than regular Scrabble.

Miranda said...

We LOVE Bananagrams. You should invite us over to play it with your family! :)