Tuesday, March 10, 2009

reclaiming my life

Okay--I'm still alive and currently in recovery mode from last week's musical. Thankfully, since we rented much of what we used, the laundry and clean-up process will be minimal this year. I feel like I've been absent in my own life for the past six weeks or so, and I'm so ready to reclaim it and start living it again!

I'm exhausted and somewhat daunted at the prospect of setting my house in order, but know that doing so is key to restoring my sanity. It's a complete mess--messy and dirty. I'm taking it a small step at a time; last night I cleaned my sewing area, which was no small task and required me getting on my hands and knees to do a pre-vacuum of scraps and threads before actually vacuuming. It was quite a process to vacuum up all that glitter.

I plan to post in greater detail about my costuming adventure before leaving it entirely behind, but for now here are a few tidbits. (Most of my photos haven't been downloaded from my camera yet and Mark has the connector cord in his car--and is currently not at home....).

This is a blurry photo of the "Swamp" dress I made for the leading lady--a princess who comes from the swamp. It had to look like it might actually be wet and somewhat swampish, but still pretty and princess-like at the same time. I was pleased with the result--and the Twirl Factor was fabulous.

Another favorite costume I made this year was one for the Prince made entirely out of drapery and pillow remnants I have collected from my sister Susan over the years. The only thing I purchased for the outfit was some gold sequin trim and the buttons. I don't think I've ever made a costume out of such beautiful, expensive fabrics before!

Here's a little closer view:

Why do I do it, one might ask? Alas, this is a question I often ask myself this time of year.

Here's one reason: my son John, who was the cutest member of the chorus! (No, that is not a plume on my head--it's the feather on John's sweet hat.)

Stay tuned.

9 comments:

Paula said...

How nice to have you back among the living!

Charlotte said...

You're back!!!

Jill said...

Welcome back to your life! If I lived closer I would happily come over and help clean and restore order.

You are so unbelievably talented Denise! I can't even sew a straight line (for real)! These costumes are stunning. Surely you should be getting big bucks for this skill.

michelle said...

I'm speechless! Those costumes are just amazing, Denise. I cannot even imagine being able to do that.

Too bad our visit is still a couple of weeks away -- maybe you'll still have some restoring of order to be done then?

Susan said...

I missed you! I'm so impressed with those costumes. You are amazing. I wish you had been the costumer when I was at WRHS.

Susan said...

Now that is what i call a fine costume!! This looks like broadway material to me, and I agree with Jill that you should be getting big bucks for this. I'm telling you, right now, when they realize what you can and do do, your rates go up!! I'm serious.

The photos are fabulous and I will be posting another on my blog,it's just unbelievable. You are a master! Glad that degree in fashion design is put to use!

Way cute photo of you and John, but he's getting too grown up.

paws said...

I echo "my Susan"'s comment.

Gena said...

I do think Susan said it all. You are unappreciated in your time, girl! WRHS will miss you (I'm assuming that you will "retire" once Sarah graduates, right?). Love you!

Diana said...

I can't believe what a talented seamstress you are. The costumes are amazing.