Thursday, March 12, 2009

good and not-so-good

When the kids were younger we used to share the Good and Not-So-Good highlights from our days at the dinner table. When I was the YW president years ago, I used to do the same thing for a few minutes at the beginning of our lesson time. It proved to be a fun tradition and a great way to get a feel for what was going on in each other's lives.

So with that theme in mind, I'm going to share some of the Goods and Not-So-Goods of my week:

Good: Today I finished returning costumes and can officially "put this show in the books," so to speak. I feel good about how the show looked and especially enjoyed watching the leading couple dance in these costumes I made for them.

Not-So-Good: Because of the musical, I missed Sarah's clogging competition at Thanksgiving Point last week. She received a first-place ranking in all her events--individual and team!

Good: I finally made it to Petsmart to buy dog food and a new Nylabone for Moosey.

Not-So-Good: I didn't realize that the Nylabone was the "flexible" (a.k.a. easier to chew) kind. It was $8 and in less than 24 hours it looks like this, which also means that there are tiny pieces of it strewn about the carpet. Good thing I love her so much.

Good: I cleaned up and vacuumed my sewing area (and even got a little ironing done)! Now Mark won't have to worry about the possibility of embedded gold glitter in his work clothes.

Not-So-Good: The process of cleaning up one area always leads to a pile of things that migrate to another area to be put away.

Good: I was asked to teach another ward's YW class two weeks ago on the topic of Virtue and used this photo of my two exemplary daughters as a visual aide. Not-So-Good: I felt like I was giving the lesson to the pillars at Stonehenge.

Good: I've been flossing faithfully every night for over two months! I'm converted now.

Not-So-Good: No, actually, this one is truly a BAD. Despite my improved dental hygiene habit, I still need a new crown on one of my back molars.

Good: My life has been made immeasurably better by the addition of this Bluetooth wireless devise that Mark gave me for Valentine's Day. Not-So-Good: My Blackberry disappeared at the high school during the musical so now I'm back to using my old phone. Oh, Wo is me for the loss of my Sim card!

Good: After three weeks I was finally able to do much-needed grocery shopping at both Sam's Club and Costco. I found these magazines and can't wait to try some new-found recipes.

Not-So-Good: Before I could put away the new groceries, I had to face the stacks of molding food in Rubbermaid containers that inhabited my refrigerator--one since Christmas vacation. YUK!

Good: Jacquelyn came over for a round of family haircuts! Now John, who hasn't cut his hair for more than two months so he could look like a prince in the musical, can return to his more clean-cut look. Not-So-Good: Time to get out the Oreck again!

9 comments:

Charlotte said...

I love this way of catching up! Lame about the crown, hilarious about the flexible Nylabone, funny about John's long hair, gross about the moldly food, Stonehenge pillars very amusing.

Jill said...

It is so delightful to see all these photos and read these snippets from your life, welcome back!

"I felt like I was giving the lesson to the pillars at Stonehenge." Oh dear, that's hard to believe coming from a dynamo like you.

How sad about your Blackberry, have you checked the school lost and found?

I really despise having to clean out the Rubbermaid stuff in the fridge. I try to stay on top of it (it helps that I don't cook a lot) but every now and again it gets away from me.

michelle said...

I love this post! I too have given lessons to the pillars at Stonehenge, it's so discouraging. So sad about your Blackberry! Why did I think you were already a lifelong flosser? Maybe because you have such nice teeth. There's not much I love more than fresh haircuts for my boys.

Linda said...

Wow, you've been one busy lady...but there sure has been alot of "good" things going around your house lately!

Sorry about your Blackberry!

Susan said...

Whoa boy, I'm glad to know that that haircut on John isn't for real! And what color is it?!

Great catchup, but I feel a little tired! (Could I really feel more tired? Let's not combine our lives, it could be really scary. Sounds like you really got a lot done to get back into real life, and that's good. I, myself, am hoping to take a vacation from my professional role for one day a week after this whole move thingis over, just to catch up on my real life at home and put everything away that is piling in boxes.

I'm glad the play was a success and it's put to bed. Now, please confirm that you have published your rates as to your real worth!

congratulations to Sarah! Good work.

Justin and Diana said...

Yay on all the good, but I have to say my favorite is the flossing! If only a few more would convert!

Lee said...

Denise, I found my material at TJMax It was a table cloth. I bought 2 one was 6o by 84 and the other was 60 by 120. I have the 60 by 120 to return because I didn't even have to use it. It was only 15 dollars. Do you want it. I can send it to you if you'd like. Lee

Gena said...

I wish I'd known about Sarah being in UT, I was there the same weekend! You are still my "Celestial Kingdom" example, babe, and your clever and sweet blog posts are just another peak to aspire to climb.... love you!

ps. please call me and remind me about the crop night!

Diana said...

I love your tradition of the good and not so good. I remember Charlotte telling me about it and how she really enjoyed it.
That picture of you and girls is beautiful, sorry the girls listening to the lesson didn't respond the way you wanted them too.
Congrats to Sarah. That is so great 1st place wow!