Last Thursday night around 7:00 p.m. I received a text message from Charlotte which said "Guess where we are? Happy early birthday!!!" Attached to the message was a photo of an airport terminal sign which had a flight number, a departure time, and the destination: DENVER! Earlier that day both she and Emily had both told me they were shipping my birthday package that day. I had no idea my gift would be the two of them!
They arrived home around 11:30 p.m. Thursday night and had (thankfully) arranged for a good friend to pick them up at the airport. Apparently one of the girls' friends, upon hearing of the surprise birthday plan, had asked, "But what if your family decides to go out of town that weekend?" Obviously, they don't realize what boring homebody parents Charlotte and Emily have.
I was sad that I had to work on Friday, but delighted to come home to find that Emily had mopped the kitchen floor for me! Now that's what I call a birthday gift. She neglected to document the mopping while doing it, but she willingly obliged me this photo on Saturday, even changing back into her favorite cleaning shirt and posing with the Murphy's Oil soap.

It was so fun to have company in the kitchen again. I love working together--chopping, sauteing, dish-washing, singing, occasionally kitchen dancing--everyday things are just so much more enjoyable with Charlotte and Emily around.

On Saturday afternoon we ran errands, which included a stop at Michael's (I was inspired by
Michelle's recent post to revamp the floral in my front door Spring basket).

We unabashedly snapped photos throughout the aisles of Michael's, laughing at these lovely Big Bling rings for a mere $2.98.

We laughed when Charlotte got trapped in the back seat of my car. She was sitting on the side with the kidnapper door and couldn't get out until Emily obligingly opened the door for her. The door used to open like a charm after only three tries, but Charlotte lost count at ninety (yes, 90) and gave up. Even the dumb things in life are easy to laugh about with these two around.

Of course, we made time for stop at 7-11 for a fountain drink. I like mine with a shot of cherry flavoring. Here's Emily pondering what flavor to add to her Diet Pepsi.

And here's our Big Gulp SP in the car:

After dinner Saturday night the kids had fun jumping on the trampoline in the dark (this is Sarah's favorite pastime).

We had Stake Conference today and came home to hurry and make their favorite dinner (roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, etc.) before having to leave for the airport this afternoon. We forgot to take any family pictures in our Sunday clothes, but managed to take this group SP while making dinner (Mark was late getting home, which is probably not such a bad thing, since I'm not sure how we'd all fit in!).

I'm really working this birthday angle; when my mom asked what she should make for today's dessert, I quickly replied, "Chocolate pie," which everyone loves--especially me. Now I can have my two favorite desserts in one week--chocolate pie today and German Chocolate cake on my birthday--both sure to make my pants fit better.

Mark and I rode together to take the girls to the airport. I'm usually a crier when it comes to airport departures, but this time it wasn't quite as sad, since they'll be coming home for the summer in another month. Mark didn't even cringe when I requested this SP at the airport curbside, though his SP skills need a little honing.

So now I'm tired, just a tad blue, but mostly happy and grateful for such a fun weekend with "The Girls." Thanks, girls, for such a fabulous birthday gift--I love you both so much.
9 comments:
That sounds like a dream weekend, for sure! What a fun surprise.
I'm afraid that kind of surprise would be intimidating for my children. They probably wouldn't believe that I could take the day off!
Your post made me happy---and, a bit jealous over the chocolate pie!
How fun! Sounds like a great weekend!
OH my goodness what lovely surprise.
I just love your daughters and I am learning so much from your relationship with them for the type of relationship I want with my children.
It sounds like you received the perfect early birthday gift!! They both are just darling. I know exactly what you mean though, things are just better when the college girls are home.
Mine says she's not coming home this summer...that she's staying in AZ with the roommates. I give her one week, two tops. That AZ heat will send her home in no time!
What a wonderful surprise! I had no idea they were doing that. I love the way you guys have more fun doing everything together, even dishes, etc. I keep trying to explain that concept to my kids... and the self-portrait with you and all your kids is adorable!
What an awesome surprise and such a fun, hilarity-filled weekend! I'm so happy for you. I hope their visit set the tone for your birthday week.
I'm still impressed that we managed to keep it a secret--SO hard not to tell you!! Happy birthday, Mom--love you tons :)
Happy Birthday! I'm so happy that your girls surprised you! Love you tons!
That is the SWEETEST birthday present I have ever heard.
Post a Comment