Friday, March 19, 2010

a case against predictive texting

Last weekend was our Stake Conference and Mark, as the Stake Clerk, was at the church from about 3:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. I received a text message from him shortly before the 7 p.m. leadership session asking if I would please bring him something to eat, as he hadn't eaten all day and was famished. Having just ordered pizza for the kids, I quickly snatched the last few pieces and put them in a Ziplock bag, found an empty Target sack and added an apple, a granola bar, and a bottle of water to complete the feast.

Arriving at the church just minutes before the meeting was about to begin, and not knowing where Mark was, I decided I would hang the "bag of eats" on the door of the clerks' office for him to retrieve when he could. I stood in the foyer and hurriedly sent him a text message to alert him of the drop-off.

Thank goodness I proofread my message before hitting the send button, or Mark would surely have been confused!

Almost a week later I'm still chuckling every time I think of it.

13 comments:

Charlotte said...

Hahahahahaha I love this! One of my favorites is when I texted Emily about some cute plates I bought, but sent it saying "slaves" instead.

Denise said...

Charlotte, I had the word "slavery" come up in a text to Emily when I wanted to suggest "Alavert" for her cold symptoms. I'm afraid she would have been alarmed by my suggestion!

michelle said...

Awesome!

Serin said...

LOL I wish you would've sent it that way!

emily said...

Sometimes I tempted to just send the texts with the predictive suggestions, but the explanations take too long via. I'm so glad that you blogged about this one! Love you!

Jill said...

Oh how funny! I don't think I have that kind of technology so I have never experienced such bizarreness.

paws said...

Hilarious! I actually laughed out loud.

Justin and Diana said...

LOL! That is funny! I guess I don't have predictive texting, how did it end up with rats?

Gena said...

It would have been great to have known what his reaction would have been to the unedited text! At least you got a great picture (and a posting!) out of it!

Kathy B. said...

Denise, that is so funny! I was texting Katie last week telling her that we would go shopping this Saturday for some cute things. She texted back in horror...apparently we were going shopping for some cute "thongs"! :)

Susan said...

A good laugh for all you texting queens (and kings...) I text rarely and don't recognize the signal when I get one! And, I don't have predictive texting, I guess that's good. Most of my text messages are wierd enough!

Claire said...

Confusing, yet hilarious!

jt said...

I am actually laughing out loud. I didn't even know what predictive texting was before reading this. So funny. And the slaves one is great too. I'm still laughing, and I need it today. :) Love you Wooden girls.