Case in point: My Sundays of late find me busy and often exhausted by the end of the day. While we have always enjoyed eating Sunday dinner with my parents, over the past year our pattern has evolved into my mother planning and making dinner at her house with very little--if any--help from me. To fully appreciate this gift, you must understand that a "normal" Sunday dinner at my mom's house consists of a beautifully-set table (nicely-pressed cloth napkins, always), nothing from a box or a mix (everything is made from scratch, be it gravy, salad dressing, or rolls), and an ever-changing array of our favorite homemade desserts to top things off.
This afternoon I arrived at my Mother's house to find this inviting set-up:
We found this tablecloth at HomeGoods a month or so ago and knew it would be darling with Mom's lime green dishes.
Corned beef brisket with horseradish sauce was on today's menu, accompanied by boiled potatoes, cooked carrots, artisan "rustic" bread, and Winter salad. Ah--a pleasing menu, indeed! But wait--that's not all. Mother surprised me with my all-time most favorite incredible dessert--my manna, as it were: Homemade Chocolate Pie. A moment of silence, please, while you gaze at this enticing photo.
Fights have been known to break out over who gets the last piece for breakfast. Usually I win.
So, while I feel somewhat undeserving, as well as moderately guilty for not contributing more to these fine repasts, I can't deny that I look forward to our Sunday dinners. I feel pampered, cared for, and loved. In my parents' home, surrounding the dinner table, I feel safe. I come away with a feeling of peace and reassurance that, though the coming week may be hectic and sometimes feel out of control, I always have this safe place to which I can return. And sometimes there's a chocolate pie waiting for me in the refrigerator.
Thanks, Mom.


8 comments:
I would love to be as spoiled and un-bratty as you are! Alas, I kicked my mom out of her house and made her move a million miles away so no Sunday dinners for me. :(
Ohhhhh. I wish I were the recipient of that weekly service! Emily can tell you that our dinner tonight was nowhere near as good, and certainly didn't include any covetous table linens!
It's amazing to me that no matter how old we get, we still derive such comfort from our moms...
What a wonderful gift to receive each week, and such a deserved one for someone who is constantly serving others the way you do. I'm so glad you are able to feel loved, cared for, pampered and nourished every week!
I love that chocolate pie and really love it when I have one in my fridge. I tend to hide it in the back where all the "man lookers" in our house won't see it.
I love it that Mother can and does enjoy taking care of you, and I can only long to be close enough to enjoy the same.
You are the perfect daughter and you deserve it, chocolate pie, pressed linens and all. Enjoy!
Baby is good!
Your mother sounds wonderful Denise but yet you sound like a wonderful daughter as well! How nice that you get to spend every Sunday together. That's the one thing I look forward to when we move to Colorado...Sunday dinners with the parents!
I miss you and your mom! How nice that she is willing to "spoil" you:)At the same time I also know how much time you take to pamper your mom :)Nice arrangement.
I didn't have the joy of having my mom around for most of my adult life. You are blessed.
By the way - what a sweet post! I long for such a place :)
My mouth waters looking at that pie. Ohhhh... My Sunday dinner? Campbell's soup.
Post a Comment