Tuesday, March 23, 2010

remains of the day

It's nearing the end of another day and here's what I've got to show for it:

A bill from the plumber who came to unclog my laundry sink drain in the basement:

A sad end to one of my favorite pairs of everyday shoes (I guess I shouldn't be surprised, they are 11 years old). After sloshing through the Costco parking lot with a cart full of groceries in the rain I noticed that not only was my foot slightly damp, but the hem of my wide-leg pants was out and they were dragging in the slush as well.

When I chose to document the demise of my shoes I realized that they have been much more ratty looking than I realized, and that I probably should have retired them long ago.

Leakage onto the cuff of my blouse from the ground beef I bought at Costco (and are those really horrid age spots all over my arm? Perish the thought!):

Spattering of both mud and spaghetti sauce on my blouse and sweater. I had to make dinner in stages, in between running the kids to and from piano lessons, stopping by my mother's house to frost a cake for one of her neighbors, and picking up Mark from work. (Yes, having one car is really fun--at least it's a good one!) I know it looks like I'm pregnant, but I'm not. I've never taken a SP of my stomach before and I haven't mastered the most flattering angle.

My homemade spaghetti sauce that, due to the above-mentioned running in and out, bubbled over onto the stove and made for a messy clean-up. Thankfully, I had help. Truthfully, my family was so excited to actually have me cook a meal that the mess didn't seem so bad.

The rain turned into a violent snow storm (really-in a matter of 20 minutes or so). It continues to pile up and Sarah is hoping for a snow day tomorrow. Welcome to Colorado weather, Linda from California!

At least now I'm wearing stretchy pants and my favorite ratty old wool sweater (one I refuse to give up--despite its condition-- and decline to photograph any time soon.)

Edited to add: Sarah got her fondest wish granted! We just found out that all Jefferson County schools have been canceled for tomorrow.

10 comments:

Susan said...

This post is making me smile, even at 12:11 a.m., and after a long, hard day of more moving.

You do have the creative genes (along with the primping genes, of course.) I'm really counting on them being fully active when you come at the end of the week. I even got a burst of energy to wash and iron your sheets tonight!

Can't wait to see you. We'll have plenty of opportunit to post while you're here...well, I should say, plenty to blog about, plenty of time to blog is doubtful!

I am always horrified at my horrid age spots as well...and stomach...and hair...and hands...the list goes on. Good thing I really am objective.

See you soon! You're too funny and I need a little entertaining.

Linda said...

Denise, the weather is crazy and bit scary to this CA girl! My husband called my mom as soon as he read about your snow and of coarse he called me to let me know. It'll be a miracle if I get him to CO!

We are still shooting for summer though...

Paula said...

What a day! Hopefully it's the 24 hour version :)

Jill said...

You definitely do NOT look pregnant!

I got a kick out of your stains and what not and am so glad to know that those things happen to people other than myself. I always thought you ridiculously cute girls were immune to such things.

Hooray for a tasty dinner from you and for a snow day tomorrow!

Serin said...

Chris and I recently had a couple shoes repaired at Mucelli's on Youngfield between Applejacks and Chili's. Might be worth repairing.

Speaking of pants sloshing in the sludge - I hear rumor that you can hem jeans, I have a couple pairs that are just a *little* too long.

michelle said...

I'm always sad when a favorite pair of shoes needs to be retired.

The best part of your day sounds like the end with stretchy pants and favorite ratty old wool sweater. And a snow day! You lucky Colorado folk, my kids have never known that pleasure.

Claire said...

Perhaps not the most desired items one has to show for their day but at least they show your productivity!
I hate the retiring old but loved clothing articles. :(

emily said...

Retiring beloved clothes is never fun. I guess it's time to go shoe shopping! Ha. That is never a problem.

I hope that you have a great day, free of stains! Speaking of which, I am slightly horrified by how dirty my sweater is today. It did not look this bad when took it out of my closet, but now I'm thinking that it should have been washed previous to my wearing it.

thepostproducer said...

Aw the meat stain on your shirt is oh so sad! But horray for snow days and tastey home cooking! And happy birthday by the way =)

Lee said...

Dear Denise,
Do you know the song "Lay down your burdens, I will carry you, I will carry you my child, I will carry you." Do you know that when my dad was in the hospital, my dog started to get really heavy duty seizures and sadly I didn't have a second to take him to the vet until a week after my dad was still in the hosp but stable. Every night I used to take Max, my doggy to pee outside and he was too weak to climb up and down the steps (this is a very painful memory for me) I would bend down and say" Maxi do you want momma to pick you up?" Then I would immediately pick him up and sing in his ear the Amy Grant song, Lay down your burdens. I would sing it over and over and then kiss him. When my dad died I sat with my dog in my rocker and I sang that song over and over again in his ear. Then the night of my dads memorial, Saturday night when you had flown in the night before your momma fell, Max went into cardiac failure. As I watched him struggle to breathe, overwhelmed with my own grief, waiting for my husband and son to decide what to do (got to ER with Max or wait to see ) I grabbed him again in my arms and sang that to him over and over and kissed him as my tears covered my face. Then I read your comment today and you wrote me that. I thought that was extremely special. Love you, Lisa
I told Susan today I feel like that photo of your mom shows her heart and soul. Her love and character and personality and sense of humor. I love it.