Wednesday, October 6, 2010

every mother crow

My mother used to say, "Every mother crow thinks her baby is blackest."

Well, I think I'm that mother crow now. After graduating from BYU last April, Charlotte spent the summer interning with LDS Church Magazines in Salt Lake City, working for The New Era (magazine for youth ages 12 - 18). Beginning this month with "A String of Good Examples," her articles will appear in the magazine through February or March of next year.

The internship was a great experience for her; she was able to implement some of her own ideas and was given real writing assignments--not just your typical intern-who-makes-the-copies stuff. I'm so proud of her and have become the overbearing mother who shows the magazine to any captive audience.

Look--her name is in the magazine's masthead!

Yes, I think my baby is blackest.

9 comments:

michelle said...

So cool! That internship was a wonderful opportunity. I haven't seen that issue yet, but I'm going to get one!

I think every mother crow should think her baby's blackest.

Lee said...

How lovely! You must be so proud. Crow out loud. You have earned it.

Diana said...

I love your daughter Charlotte she is amazing.You have every reason to think she is the blackest of the crows :)

Hannah Holt said...

Yeah Charlotte! That is so cool.

Miranda said...

Bravo Charlotte and bravo proud mama! I really, really love that phrase and had all but forgotten it. I'm going to have to write it down.

Bond Girl 007 said...

Wow, what a great satisfaction to see this come to fruition. As many things that will follow it is okay to be super proud of your daughter. God Bless in all her endeavors in the future. There is nothing quite like it when you see your name on something (used to be Editor at Kelley Blue Book...)--however, I'm probably not very black since my mum didn't share in my excitement...she is too oblivious for that!

Susan said...

Just this very minute, I decided that very statement "Every mother crow thinks her baby's blackest" must have something to do with my love of crows!!! (The sparkly, glittery kind, not so much the real ones).

I'm in the process of creating a post of the collection of crows that I have to date!

Congrats to Charlotte! Editing kind of scares me, and I always know those who are edit-nazis (i.e Charlotte and Michelle) are shaking their heads at me. I'll have to get a copy for myself (and my young women!).

I love crows. Fake ones and daughter ones. And son ones....and grandchildren ones...and sister ones...you get the point.

Charlotte said...

I love having you as my biggest fan!

paws said...

I must say, that is pretty impressive.