Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Happy Birthday CJP!

Today is my mother's birthday. She would have been 84. It's hard for me to believe that six months have already passed since her death. This is the first time in twenty-one years that I have celebrated her birthday without her (that's how long we've lived in Denver). But I decided that today should be a day of celebration, and not one of sadness.

My dad and I went to Sam's Club first thing this morning and bought a beautiful bouquet of Fall flowers. We picked up my sister Karen and her husband Daniel and drove to the cemetery to decorate Mother's grave. The day is bright and sunny, with just a hint of Fall crispness in the air.

After taking a few photos at the graveside we went to a favorite place to have breakfast: the Sunrise Sunset Cafe, a mom-and-pop establishment that serves tasty home-cooked goodness. We enjoyed being together and we like to think that Mom would have liked the excursion as well.

Now I'm home for the afternoon and plan to bake a cake in her honor, an idea Emily and I had separately and simultaneously. I still haven't decided what kind for sure, but I'm leaning toward the family favorite of Chocolate Cake with White Mountain Frosting.

This photo was taken one year ago, on her 83rd birthday. I was trying to remember what I gave her for her birthday last year and can't seem to recall. What I have come to realize, however, is that even in death my mother continues to give gifts to me--the gift of her enduring wisdom, wit, and expertise--and most importantly, the gift of her faith in and testimony of Jesus Christ.

Thanks, Mom. I love you and miss you, and am so grateful to know that you're not that far away.

5 comments:

Charlotte said...

I love this. I love her. I love you.

Jill said...

I'm so glad this has been a day of celebration for you! Your sweet mother definitely keeps on giving to everyone who knows any of her children or grandchildren. Michelle often writes on her blog or tells me things your mother said and they're always brilliant.

michelle said...

I love this. So glad that you were able to celebrate today. I wasn't able to make a cake today, but would love to join in that tradition.

I too feel that Grandma's gifts are enduring. So many things that she taught me come to my mind often, and even the physical gifts that she gave me are sweet reminders. I thought of her so many times during Conference, and I have to think that she was instrumental in getting at least one of Ryan's prayers answered today!

Bond Girl 007 said...

wow...this is amazing...I am just in awe of her and her legacy! what a way to celebrate...totally think she would have loved it.....
darling d a a a a rr l i ng... your whole family!

Lee said...

I said a prayer for you today my friend.