Wednesday, April 1, 2009

back to real life

After nearly two weeks of fun and surprises it's back to real life--well, not completely yet since the kids are still on Spring Break and it's General Conference this weekend--but a little sad, just the same. My sister and brother-in-law left on Sunday. Michelle got to stay on for a few more days; her flight left early this afternoon. Her time here seemed to pass all-too-quickly. We each snapped a SP at the airport curbside before saying goodbye.

She is such an enjoyable, uplifting person to be around. She is so mindful of others' feelings and is always looking for ways to help, strengthen, and include everyone. Spending time with Michelle makes me want to strive to be more like her--more Christlike in the way I view and treat those around me (and how is it that her lipstick is always perfect in every photo?! What gives?).

Sarah rode out with me to the airport and on the way home we decided that a nice big batch of Rice Krispie treats was just what we needed to stave away the blues. We stopped at King Soopers for marshmallows (which, happily, were on sale for $1/bag). Nothing quite like a large batch of this gooey comfort treat to make you feel better!

Then, on to the computer to do some catching up on blog reading. Never mind that I really need to be catching up on laundry, ironing, cleaning--hey, it's still Spring Break, right? While reading I suddenly noticed a howling wind and looked up to see another blizzard swirling outside! Boy, did that come on quickly. An April Fool's joke, for sure.

Part of me was relieved that Michelle's flight left as early as it did, and part of me wished she would have been stranded for another day.

So now it's nearing dinner time, I'm not hungry so I don't want to cook anything, and the laundry and ironing still await my attention. *sigh* I think I'll go pull off another sticky piece of Rice Krispies.

9 comments:

Jill said...

Rice Krispie Treats are the perfect way to stave off the blues, except when I eat the whole pan and then have a different set of blues to deal with.

The self-portrait of you and Michelle is lovely. I'm so glad she got to stay longer and have a few more days with you.

michelle said...

Wow! And I just thought I was boring...

It was so much fun getting to hang out with you and your family. Getting back to real life is no fun, and I can see that Rice Krispie treats could surely easy the way.

I too am torn between being glad I got out in time to miss the blizzard and wishing I could have gotten stranded in Denver... Marc has no ambivalence on this issue.

Susan said...

Another blizzard sounds just perfect to me...providing I could be there with the two of you!

Talk about back to real life, lat night I worked at the store until 10:30 with Sneelock and tonight I worked until 12:30...alone after 9:30. The store got a whole new facelift, but it felt a little like moving. Fred helped me move all the furniture (BIG furniture), last night we did the windows.

One more night and I'll be ready for the grand opening of the design studio for retail use.

Sounds like you had a great few days after I left and I can't agree with you more about there not being any better company than Michelle. She really gets it, doesn't she?

It makes me happy that you can be such good friends and enjoy each other.

Guess you'd better make another batch of rice krispy treats for tomorrow...I'm sure John made short work of the ones for today!

Susan said...

When I saw the picture of the Rice Krispy treats, I thought it was risotto. Both delicious, both rice, but the similarities end there. Now I want some.

Diana said...

oh my that is crazy the weather. WE have some winter weather but nothing like that.
Its so hard to get back to the real world after family visits. I just love how close you are to your nieces and well of course your entire family.
I thought the rice krispy treats were mac and cheese :)

shannon said...

I've so enjoyed hearing about the wonderful time everyone had while in Denver...Michelle posted some wonderful pictures of you and the rest of the gang :) I love the picture of you, Susan and Fred standing (perfectly color coordinated, I might add!) under the pom pom trim in the bathroom!

You guys are such a lovely family--

I am so touched by the special relationship between you and Michelle...It's so sweet to see you both so adoring to the other...the sentiments she expressed about you were equal to the ones you wrote of her...

Lee said...

I must be the only one who doesn't like rice crispy treats! I love to see pics of you and susan and with your niece. You have such a bond. Lovely.
Just lovely.
Lee

Miranda said...

I would love LOVE to come to a private crop!

Charlotte said...

Um I want Rice Krispie treats. . . .