Sunday, April 5, 2009

Conference Weekend highlights

For those of you who don't know what Conference Weekend is, it's The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints semi-annual broadcast from Salt Lake City, always held on the first weekends in April and October. There are five sessions total on Saturday and Sunday, two hours each, where our church leaders speak about everything from repentance to personal finance. I look forward to these two weekends each year as a time of personal revelation and growth, as well as a time of family tradition and togetherness. I always come away feeling motivated to be better than I am today, and feel an increased love and appreciation for my Savior Jesus Christ.

I also love the feeling of connected-ness (made up word?) I feel with the other 13 million members of my church, including my loved ones watching in faraway places. I love knowing that we're all hearing the same messages at the same time, having the Holy Spirit bear witness to us of the divinity of Jesus Christ and His love for us.

I can't wait to download the talks to my iPod. I didn't take notes because I was working on Easter sewing projects for Sarah and me (to be documented later). Going from memory--which at 46 isn't what it used to be--the messages that spoke to my heart are, in no particular order:
  • Start where you are right now to become a better person. Start now.
  • Worshipping in the temple with greater frequency and sincerity will bless me immeasurably.
  • Learn to say, "We can't afford it."
  • We are so blessed to have a living Prophet of God on the earth today, Thomas S. Monson.
  • Don't be afraid of changes in life. Embrace them and work through them with the Savior at your side.
  • Fear is the opposite of faith.
  • We needn't fear the current climate of economic uncertainty. Hold steadfast to the truth, learn to live providently, and we'll get through it.
  • Gospel principles remain constant and unchanging in a changing world. Standing firm by them is our sure hope for safety, peace, and happiness.
  • It's always fair when you get to choose.
We had our traditional Donut Night on Saturday night, after the men's Priesthood session. I love seeing the men I love in their white shirts and ties. John changed out of his Sunday clothes before I could get his picture, and for some reason I didn't think to have him pose with his Dad and Grandpa for this post-Priesthood session shot. I love and appreciate the honorable Priesthood holders in my family and do not take for granted having this power in my home.

Mom decided that she felt well enough to help me make donuts at her house (she's the glazer, you know, but has been sick this past week). Since she's still coughing quite a bit, we didn't invite our usual crowd of friends.

If I do say so myself, it was one of our better batches!

We watched the Sunday afternoon session with my Mom and Dad at their house and had dinner together afterwards.

This photo is for Bella. Sorry honey, but we don't want "another dog." Even Grandpa has a soft spot for Moosey!

Until October, then.

8 comments:

Paula said...

Hmmmm
I don't remember "it's always fair when you get to choose"! ;)

michelle said...

Yes, I love Conference weekend so much! I'm dying over your donut photos, they are a million times better than the ones I took!

michelle said...

p.s. That is a dang cute sweater Grandpa is wearing!

Diana said...

I love Conference weekend. WE spent it at Lou's parents. Its fun just to be in all weekend with family.
I love those donuts they look oh so good!

Susan said...

"I love seeing the men I love in their white shirts and ties." Hmmmm.... maybe I should encourage my spouse not to wear shorts and a t-shirt to P-Hood session. But then again, a couple years ago our stake pres. showed up in his spandex biking outfit having biked there to avoid football traffic.

I would kill for one of those doughnuts right now, by the way.

Susan said...

I consider it one of my finest blessings to have a faithful sister in the Gospel. At 1:14am, I have a tear in my eye.

I love you.

Charlotte said...

Love it :)

Gena said...

I'm with Susan, but it's 10:13 as I read this. I love you, Denise!