Friday, April 17, 2009

girl with a twirl

When I was a little girl I loved the dresses my mom sewed for me--especially the ones with exceptional Twirl Factor. I could always count on a beautifully made dress for occasions such as Christmas and Easter, and later in high school for Homecoming and Prom. I have never outgrown this love for a twirly dress. When I'm costuming, for instance, nothing brings me quite the satisfaction as seeing a voluminous skirt sweep its way across the stage.

This year for Easter Sunday I made myself a dress with ultimate Twirl Factor. I haven't sewn for myself in quite a while, but when I found this beautiful piece of cotton sateen (with just a bit of lycra for stretch) for only $3.69/yard it spoke to my heart and I decided I would costume myself.

Here's the finished dress. . .

. . . and here is its ultimate twirling power:

It was fun to make something for myself that I actually liked. Sometimes sewing for yourself can be a disheartening affair. Sarah's dress, on the other hand, was cute but lacked adequate TF. I should have realized it when I was cutting out the pattern and added more fullness. Still, she looked cute, especially with her grown-up pink patent leather wedge sandals.

And no, I did not make these ties for my guys, but I did shop for them. They're quite handsome, don't you think?

John and Sarah dyed eggs on Saturday afternoon. I'm not sure what made some of them get this crackled and speckled effect, but I think it's kind of cool.

The best part of hard-boiled eggs, however, is having my mom make deviled eggs!

John's favorite part of Easter dinner was the twice-baked potatoes I made ahead on Saturday night. When he saw that there was a little left in the mixing bowl for him to lick with a spatula he cried in delight, "It's an Easter miracle!" He makes me laugh!

My favorite part, aside from the deviled eggs, would have to be my mom's homemade strawberry pie--no store-bought icky glaze here. (Note to Miranda and April: put this one on your list for Wednesdays With Charlotte.)

Happy (better late than never) Easter, and yes--that is in fact Jessie's head popping up behind Mark.

14 comments:

Lee said...

You go girl, Twirl away. I loved your entry. Lee

Serin said...

I always loved getting proper appreciation for Twirl Factor in YW. I have a picture of me in my prom dress I'll have to try to find.

That pie looks YUMMY!

emily said...

I love this post!! The whole family looks wonderful, and your twirl factor is impressive. :) I'm so glad that your dress turned out so well!

Love you!

Charlotte said...

I love it! The twirl factor is always something to seek after--you redefined twirl, Mom. I love seeing pictures of the family :) Just one step closer to apparation. . . . :)

Paula said...

Did you notice your new dress matches your mom's pie?

Was GREAT to visit with you today :) I've missed it.

michelle said...

Ah! Deviled eggs! I was wondering why Grandma was holding mayo and mustard in that earlier photo...

Your dress is gorgeous! What a steal on the fabric. I am beyond impressed that you can make something that fits properly and is so flattering -- in addition to the twirl factor, of course. How cute is that picture of you twirling??

And, I just bought that same fabric as Sarah's dress to make something for Eva! Great minds...

I'm cracking up over Jessie's photo being in your family SP.

Miranda said...

YES! Thank you thank you for posting a picture of that beautiful dress. You are my sewing idol.

Jill said...

I love it that you have a picture of you twirling in your new dress! I only have one dress with twirl factor.

Wayne said...

Sweet "twirl" picture

Mark said...

What I really want is a shirt in that fabric, but you can drop the twirl-factor!

Susan said...

Good going, Mark! Matching shirt/dress would be perfect....

I've been waiting for the photo of the dress! It's way cute. I love the twirl factor too, but I'm not sure , as I wouldn't be caught dead twirling (the knees, you know!)

Fun post, and indiciative of your more than busy life now, as the R.S. Pres!! EEK!

Your Easter looks like it was a great and memorable day. Love the dress and love you.

April said...

That dress is even better in person-it turned out so fabulously!
I loved John's comment about the "Easter miracle"! Too funny!!

Diana said...

oh my that fabric is so cute. I can't believe how cheap it was!
You look beautiful!

Gena said...

I would pay to see Mark in the matching shirt. If he doesn't want the TF how about adding some pirate sleeves?
You are always the most adorable and, darling, if I had your legs I'd be twirling too. As it is I'd look like two trees in a tornado!
Newly organized ward?
And I'll be thinking of you often as the RS pres. Whoa, you are grown up now!