Sunday, April 19, 2009

He is able

I've been playing this particular Hilary Weeks song on my iPod a lot for the past few days:

Sometimes I wonder
If I will make it through even one more day
What can I say some days I wonder
Sometimes I struggle

Is it just me, or do you ever feel the same
Either way, some days I struggle
But when I'm down to my last breath
and I just need a hand

He is able
He is able
Able to make me strong enough
When I can't see the end
And when I need a friend
He is able

I'm always learning
Just when I think I know
Here comes something new
That God has led me to
'Cause I'm still learning

He knows I'm trying
I see my weakness but He sees strength in me
And all that I can be so I go on trying
And nothing can stop me when
I reach up for His hand

He is able to lift me up
He is able to rise above
Able to make me strong enough
when I can't see the end
When I need a friend
He is able, He is able

Today I was sustained as the Relief Society President of our newly-formed ward. I'm a tad overwhelmed, to say the least. I don't mean to sound unhappy, because I look forward to serving the sisters in my ward and learning to know and love them. I'm just overwhelmed by the responsibility of it all. I feel like I have so much "on my plate" already and I can't logically see how I can do any more.

Then I remember that this isn't necessarily logical. I have to take it on faith, as Nephi did when going to get the plates from Laban. He said, "And I was aled by the Spirit, not bknowing beforehand the things which I should do." 1 Nephi 4:6. He didn't know how he was supposed to accomplish the task before him, but had the faith to know that the Lord would show him what to do and how to do it.

President Eyring, in a 2002 Conference address said,

There will be times when you will feel overwhelmed. One of the ways you will be attacked is with the feeling that you are inadequate. Well, you are inadequate to answer a call to represent God with only your own powers. But you have access to more than your natural capacities, and you do not work alone.

The Lord will magnify what you say and what you do in the eyes of the people you serve. He will send the Holy Ghost to manifest to them that what you spoke was true. What you say and do will carry hope and give direction to people far beyond your natural abilities and your own understanding. That miracle has been a mark of the Lord’s Church in every dispensation. It is so much a part of your call that you may begin to take it for granted.

I am so grateful to know that I'm not alone and that the Lord can make me equal to my responsibilities. One day at a time, Denise.


15 comments:

Jill said...

That song sounds wonderful and like it may need to be your new theme song Miss RS President! I know you'll be fantastic in this calling, and will be blessed with added energy, strength and time as you continue to do everything else you need to do!

michelle said...

Denise! No wonder you're feeling overwhelmed! I love that excerpt from President Eyring, it's so empowering. You can do this because you don't have to rely on your natural capacities and you don't have to work alone. A great opportunity to build your faith! I felt like almost all of the Conference talks were about being obedient and being endowed with increased faith as a result.

Both you and Nephi are heroes to me.

April said...

I loved the uplifting song, scripture and conference quote- you can do it!! Not only that, but you will be a fabulous RS president.

Please call if I can ever help, uplift or let you escape from you busy life for a moment. One of my most favorite things is making your burden a little lighter.

Love you!!

Charlotte said...

You will be incredible. With the Lord at your side you'll be able to magnify not only being the RS president but also your callings as wife and mother. You've never been inadequate to me.

steve said...

I got sad about the new ward situation on Saturday... and stumbled on your blog... and read THE WHOLE THING. It made me a little more sad because we're not in the same ward with you anymore.

But knowing you have this new opportunity makes me a little happier. I'm pretty excited for you. I know you will do an amzing job in this calling. And I know the sisters' lives will be better for it.

Linda said...

Your new calling sounds like a hugh undertaking but you'll be fantastic I'm sure!

Our pastor talked about this just yesterday. Denise, be obedient, step out in faith, and God will take care of the rest!

I'm gonna go on youtube right now and see if I can find this song. I'd love to hear it.

Susan said...

This may not be much comfort, but I would want to call you as my RS president in a heartbeat. I hope you have good counselors that you will have a good time with--that can take a big edge off what can sometimes be a stressful situation.

Miranda said...

That is just fantastic news. I can't think of anyone more qualified.

Diana said...

I wish I was a member of your ward you'll make such a wonderful RS President.
I love that quote by Pres. Eyring.

Susan said...

I love every word that you have written! I feel this way so many times, and thankfully, I have realzied time and time again that I do not have to stand alone, facing my life's tasks without help! I know that I simply could not do what is required on my own powers. But hearing you restate what I firmly have a testimony of is wonderful and brings a tear to my eye!

You will be equal to the task, and your Ward sister's will be the great recipients of your talents and service. Now, that's what I call a RS President to be admired! When you told me the other night that you had been called to the Presidency, I didn't understand that it was the President!!

Mom was concerned about your time, or lack of, to me the other night and worried what you would drop to make room for this. I told her, we just find room for one more little thing! The Spirit will go before you and make you equal to the task.

I love you. I admire you. I have complete confidence in your abilities in your new calling.

I sure wish I was having your salad.....

paws said...

I like that song, too. In fact, I was just playing it for Dan the other day. May the force be with you!

Gena said...

I just realized I commented on your last blog about this one too. I love you, babe!

paws said...

Correction: It was not that song but "Give Ye To Me" - also applicable in your situation.

shannon said...

I just love that song!--Hilary Weeks is one of my very favorites!

I got to see her at a Time Out For Women and it was great!

Thanks for this uplifting post!

Paula said...

It doesn't seem appropriate to say "Good Luck" but I just don't know what to say right now. I feeling it tonight as we are preparing to actually "leave". Please don't let posting drop off your list - it's the one sure way for us to keep in touch :)