Monday, October 26, 2009

signs of the season

Fall decorations are perhaps my favorite of all the year--perhaps because I love the things I've collected over the years, but more likely because I can actually get them out and put them up in an afternoon unlike Christmas decor, which most often turns into a project of several days.

Though you can't really tell in this photo, letters are etched onto each of these votive candles to spell out AUTUMN.

I've had the autumn vine and raffia pumpkins, shown here on the family room mantle, for more years than I wish to acknowledge and should probably consider replacing them. I pull them out each Fall, however, and manage to spruce them up with a few newer items tucked in--the cutest of which is the "Merry Holloween" china sign hanging with ribbon from an open-back frame (courtesy of Black-Eyed Susan, of course!).

Another gift from Susan, and another favorite of mine, are these "Boo!" kugels and wooden primitive crows which hang in an open half-wall of my desk/craft area.

The only new addition this year was two of these free-standing, billowy wheat sheaves. I love them, especially this one with my favorite Black-Eyed Susan crow perched nearby.

The cutest thing frequently found in my house, however, is my darling parents. This photo was taken on my mother's 83rd birthday. My dad, by the way, turns 90 in January! Maybe this Winter we can convince him to hire out the shoveling. . . .

Happy Fall!

6 comments:

Linda said...

As always, your decorations are tasteful and classy! I love the thought of a sign reading "Merry Halloween!"

Your parents are just darling!

Charlotte said...

Oh how I miss being around for the autumn decor! I love it all, especially the "AUTUMN" votives. But most of all I love the picture of Grandma and Grandpa!

michelle said...

I have those candles, too! Your mantle looks so cute with the frames behind. And I love the wheat. Most of all, I am impressed that you have Fall decorations all over the house! I usually restrict it to the family room...

Such a cute picture of Grandma and Grandpa!

Jill said...

I love fall decor, and think your house looks stunning!

Your parents are always adorable!

Diana said...

Fall decor is my favorite too. I'm envious of your collection.

Susan said...

A darling photo of MOm and Dad, thanks!

But,I do think we may have to replace the crispy fall garland! I can't even think how old that is!! I got out a few of my fall things as well, in preparation for my house tour...remind me not to do that again! It't a real disruption to real life!!

Your house is looking cozy and very fall festive. Some of my favorte things indeed, including Mom and Dad!