Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween hauntings

I felt somewhat conspicuous last night walking into our ward party dressed in my trusty Cruella DeVille costume. Our missionaries--from Samoa and Mongolia--seemed to get a kick out of my get-up and asked to have their picture taken with me. (Yes, the wig is extremely itchy!)

Upon Emily's suggestion, I tried to convince Mark to go as either Horace or Jasper (Cruella's dimwitted henchmen) but he didn't go for the idea, claiming no one would recognize who he was. I told him that no one recognizes him anyway.

I was pleased that, in addition to using my nearly ten-year-old Cruella costume, I was able to recycle several others as well. Sarah wore a cute witch outfit I made for Emily when she was in about 6th or 7th grade.

This picture was taken at her school class party on Friday:

And this photo was taken with her friends just before they left for an evening of trick-or-treating in the neighborhood. Her other friends went for the scary makeup look. I'm glad that Sarah still likes to be the "pretty" witch.

A really cute little boy in my ward, Hyrum, wore the Batman costume I made for John when he was three years old. I can't believe John was ever that small! (Sorry for the blurry photo--I just wish you could see Hyrum with the Batman satin hood/mask on!)

Another friend in my ward borrowed one of the Elvis costumes I made for a Roadshow many years ago for her sixth-grade son Ramsey. He was a hit in white satin and gold sequins; sadly, I have no photo.

Thankfully I had costumes I could recycle for Halloween this year, as there is no way I could have sewn anything given the sweatshop production line I've got going in the basement. I've now finished 2 1/2 dance tops for Sarah's clogging team.


Only 18 1/2 to go. . . .

11 comments:

Claire said...

you can do it!

michelle said...

Good thing you have so many costumes on hand! And all such well-made ones, your friends and family are fortunate to have those at their disposal.

We didn't do anything for Halloween here -- we don't have costumes -- I was surprised by how my kids rolled with it.

Those dance tops don't look very fun to make! I used that sequiny fabric once to make a wizard cape (lining) for Max, and I did not enjoy sewing on it. You, however, YOU can do it!

Linda said...

I am in awe of your sewing capabilities! It looks like there is nothing you can't tackle!

Melissa Marilyn said...

Great documentation! Love it!

Charlotte said...

I love Sarah's pretty witch costume :) And I don't think the Cruella costume will ever go out of style!

Jill said...

You look beautiful as Cruella!

It must be so satisfying to have produced so many amazing costumes over the years and then to see them on other people (it's so nice that you share).

Good luck with the 18.5 more shirts!

Diana said...

I didn't know that Sarah was a clogger! I was a clogger back in the day. I would love to come and watch her dance. Let me know when they will be performing.

Diana said...

I love that you dressed up. That is great! IT looks from your picture that you were the only adult dressed up.
Good luck getting the tops done. They are VERY cute.

Susan said...

I'm so far behind with catchups!! You know the drill....

The most shocking "costume" is Mark's new haircut!! Pretty cute, though!

Gena said...

You all look terrific! When I think of all the sewing I've done over the years I know I don't measure up to the mass quantity of love and effort you've accumulated! And look at how many people have been blessed by your talents!!!

The tops for the team are gorgeous!!! Do you have them all done by now?

ps. I do love Mark's haircut!

Unknown said...

denise :: I think I will for sure be calling you and yes I LOVE hobby lobby. we had them in TN. I got the most beautiful pineapples that i use on my Christmas tree and have been said I only have a couple and can't find anymore anywhere here, so that will be the first place I go.

Thanks for commenting and I look forward to your list of to do's in denver.

kbc