Monday, October 26, 2009

this and that

Since blogging seems to be the thing that most often gets pushed to the bottom of my to-do list these days, I need to mention a few random things that happened this month so I at least have some record of it.
  • Sarah had a solo in our ward's Primary program this month. She sang the first verse of I Feel My Savior's Love and--in my completely unbiased opinion--it was the most beautiful thing I have ever heard! I have never heard her sing alone and I was really impressed by the clear, sweet, and sincere quality of her voice.
  • Speaking of singing, John had his first choral concert this month. He made it into the top mixed choir this year (coincidentally the same one I was in when I attended his high school). I wish this photo showed the great pinstripes in the guys' pants and the rows of dots in their ties. John has really found his niche in high school and I love how much he loves singing in choir (much of which I attribute to his fabulous and darling teacher, Mrs. Burns).
  • Speaking of high school, my long-time friend Ann came for a two-day visit with her beautiful daughters earlier this month. It was a fun surprise and a treat to have them stay with us; the actual reason for their visit was to see the show Wicked, but we enjoyed watching movies, eating carmel corn, shopping with our girls, and playing Bananagrams. Moosey made friends with them all.
  • Speaking of Wicked, my mom and I were invited by a friend in our ward to go to the show, complete with a back-stage tour prior to the show! Yes--I said BACK-STAGE TOUR. It was fascinating to see the costumes, props, and sets first-hand. To top it off, we had box seats. I felt like royalty and only wish I had been allowed to take photos of the experience.
  • Speaking of photos, I just had to take this one of a flyer I found lying around the house. At first I thought it was something from Sarah's school. When I asked her about it, she confessed she had made up a stack while playing School the other day. It made me smile.
  • Speaking of things that make me smile, Sarah convinced us to carve our Halloween pumpkins tonight for FHE. Though I confess I had sort of been dreading the time-honored and messy tradition, I had fun hacking away at the pumpkins with the rest of the family.
  • And speaking of hacking away, Mark got a little carried away with the hair trimmer last Saturday and ended up giving himself a new 'do. He has been more than a good sport about the whole thing and we have been laughing about the reactions of his friends and coworkers. People at church yesterday were asking if he had lost some sort of bet relating to the oh-so-sad outcome of the BYU football game of the previous day. Someone at work today asked him if he had joined a Mexican gang. I suggested that we could send for the Cougar Spirit wig we found at the BYU Bookstore last August when we took the girls to school. He was not amused.
  • And speaking of not being amused, I have taken on a sewing project I'm afraid I'm going to live to regret: 22 (yes count them, twenty-two) dance costume tops for Sarah's clogging team--that's eleven each of two different styles. Yes, it's a paying gig, but I'm afraid by the time I finish I'll be lucky to make about $1.25/hour.

11 comments:

Miranda said...

Ahem. As a clogging veteran I will do almost anything to promote and support it. Including sewing costumes. For free. Just sayin.

michelle said...

This is an awesome update!

Wicked with back-stage passes, how fun!

And John being in the same choral group you were in at your same high school, I can't even imagine. Finding your niche in high school is a very good thing.

Mark's new do is funny, yet he can pull it off. Good thing he can take some ribbing (Mexican gang??).

Sewing 22 of anything might put me over the edge. It sure is a good thing you're on the Varsity Sewing Team!

Jill said...

I'm delighted to have new posts from you!

I love it when primary kids sing primary songs, their voices sound so pure and sincere.

How wonderful that John has found his niche in high school!

Wow, back stage passes and box seats for Wicked, you must be living right!

Mark's home hair cut cracks me up and reminds me of Randy. He has gotten carried away many times and ended up with a very short hair-do, I've taken to saluting him.

paws said...

The picture of John in choir makes me nostalgic.

emily said...

Love the updates! I love seeing John with Singers and Sarah's pretend flyers. I miss you guys!

Serin said...

I also thought Sarah did great on the solo!

Charlotte said...

I think that Sarah's pretend flyers are my favorite. That's totally something I would have done as a kid. John's so handsome in his Singers garb, and Dad's hilarious with no hair. I love updates!

Diana said...

that flyer cracks me up. Sounds like you have been having a fun time.

Melissa Marilyn said...

Sarah's solo was so great! She really enhanced the spirit of the meeting. So glad I could be there.

Melissa Marilyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan said...

I guess I never knew Mark did his own hair-cutting!! He looks cute, no matter what. Fred would get a kick out of the Mexican gang comment and I'll have Ryan check out the new do as a commrade!

He certainly has a way with hair (!) remember when you were engaged and I asked him if his hair really "turned out" with his wet styling do?!

I would have loved to hear Sarah as well....too many miles.