Friday, October 30, 2009

snow day!

Wednesday and Thursday were official snow days here in the Denver metro area. School was canceled both days and Mark and I stayed home as well on Thursday. Here's my photo documentation of our enjoyable day at home.

This was the view out of my basement sewing area window:

Three cheers for John and his multiple times of shoveling!

John snapped this photo for me, as I did not want to don snow gear to get it:

Sarah's friend, Danielle, came over and the kids enjoyed playing in the snow together.

The unavoidable soggy pile of debris by the back door:

Sarah must have had at least 8-10 cups of hot cocoa throughout the day.

My staple nutrients, along with multiple DVR episodes of one of my favorite TV shows, kept my energy up for my many hours of sewing:

Moosey, being from the South, tends to not like the snow. Just as I snapped this picture, however, she heard the kids playing in the yard and bounded off through the snow. She was back by the sliding door in a matter of minutes.

Mark ventured out to buy a new touk (Canadian for hat) as he has found his new hairdo to be a little on the chilly side.

My mom helped me make dinner to take to a family in our ward. We were also the beneficiaries of her baking goodness.

I made a family classic, Noodle Bake, in a big enough batch to give some away, save some for my family, and make this heart-shaped pan for my parents. Buttermilk bread courtesy of my mom.

At the end of the day I was tempted to climb into the cozy fort Sarah and Danielle had made in the family room.

The only down side to having a snow day on a Thursday is that it seemed like it should have been Friday. Cruel hoax to have to wake up early Friday morning and face real life again. . . .

15 comments:

michelle said...

No way! My kids have never once in their school career enjoyed the beauty that is a snow day. So sad. (Even though we sometimes clearly have enough snow to warrant one!) Lucky, lucky Denverites.

Looks like a pretty perfect day to me, thanks to John doing the shoveling! Now, I think I need the recipe for that bread...

michelle said...

p.s. If you're having snow days, I think you need a new banner! I'd be happy to make you one if you have a photo for me to use...

Charlotte said...

I'm so jealous of the snow days! I love being snowed in with Bones, Coke Zero, and Moosey. Looks like it was a fun couple of days, but cruel hoax indeed to have to have Friday be a real day. . . .

Charlotte said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

OK...tell me again why I'm planning on moving to Colorado soon! I'm not a "shoveling" type person...

Jill said...

Wow, I can't believe you guys had 2 snow days in October! We never get snow days, even when we get crazy snow, but your snow looks unreal!

How glorious to have such a cozy day at home with all that good food. Maybe you could post the noodle bake recipe for us, I love having a recipe that can feed multiple crowds.

emily said...

I really wish that I could I have been cozied up in the basement with you this week. I did buy a 2-liter of Coke Zero for my weekend!

And I love that Sarah still loves her hot cocoa. Haha.

Love you!

Melissa Marilyn said...

I also had multiple cups of hot cocoa and was cozy! I'm grateful other people shovel for me. Way to go John. :)

Kathy B. said...

I can't believe that I am having to correct your spelling, but Mark went out to buy a new TOQUE. It is one of the strangest words in Canadian-ese, and we Canadians take its spelling VERY seriously!! :) (Feel free to correct my spelling and grammar at your leisure!)

Denise said...

Kathy--that is too funny! I specifically asked Mark how to spell it before I posted, so I wouldn't appear ignorant on my blog to my Canadian followers. Tsk tsk, Mark. . ..

Thank you for the correct spelling!

Marianne said...

Take spelling very seriously, just can't agree on how to do it :). We've had a lot of beautiful fall days, but no snow to speak of.

April said...

It looks like you guys had a good day off! I love snow days. I _love_ that you were watching Bones. That is one of my favorite, favorite newly discovered (this summer-I watched the first four seasons thanks to TNT) shows!!

Mark said...

Although I spent my first 19 years of life in Alberta as a proud Canadian, I don't think I once used the word "toque" in a single letter, essay, note . . . in any document of any kind! A toque is a toque, eh! I still wear one and continue to be proud to call it a toque; I also don't mind that Americans look at me as though I'm touched in the head when I use the word. (At least my head's warm.) Toque is a simple, strange word; and now I know how it's spelled. Thanks Kathy.

Susan said...

Good account of a great snow day!

If I were a skinny little person like Sarah, I would also enjoy multiple cups of hot cocoa!

I was thinking the same thing as Michelle about the banner (tee hee) but I have been in the same boat so often, I wasn't going to mention it...might as just wait for Christmas, I guess!

Marianne said...

Hey, I looked up Toque today; I should have known after studying French for 7 years and the fact that we're talking about Canada-it's a French word meaning "cap".