Wednesday, December 10, 2008

better late than never

Since returning from Susan's late Sunday night, I've been running fast trying to play "catch-up," with seemingly little success. It feels like having to jump onto a treadmill that is already moving at an alarmingly rapid pace and having to just start running as fast as I can without really stopping to think, in an effort to merely keep from falling off and hurting myself. And wouldn't you know that this week is one of those with commitments every night! They're all enjoyable things I've been looking forward to, but I confess I'm rather tired to face such a hectic week on the heels of a tiring, albeit fun, one.

Blogging, of course, has been on my list. Mark's forty-seventh birthday was on Monday. Thankfully, Mark is easy to please. We celebrated by having a simple steak dinner at home with just the kids and my parents. It was quieter than most Wood birthday celebrations, but I rather enjoyed the change of pace. His cake of choice was homemade banana cake, courtesy of my mom--the Master Cake Maker.

Thank goodness I had planned ahead and started his "10 Things" album a few weeks ago. At least I had one gift to wrap. I also gave him a coupon for a date with his own personal shopper--me--to buy new clothes for his new size (he has lost over forty pounds in the last year--woo hoo! Way to go!).

Here he is with his album, which was is in a 6x6 format, black and cream with accents of red. One of my favorites of his Ten Things is number 10:
  • "I love you for loving me the way I am, and for who I am. I love feeling that your love for me is wholly unrelated to the state or condition of my hair, my weight, or even my mood. When at times I see only the glaring flaws within myself, you see something better. Thank you."
And here he is with me, his wife of 23 years. Happy birthday, honey! I love you.

9 comments:

Serin said...

Happy Birthday, Mark! And kudos for participating in the SP, I have a hard enough time getting Chris to pose for a family picture! ;)

P.S. Denise, how much would you charge to be *my* personal shopper?

Diana said...

Happy Birthday to Mark.
Wow losing 40 lbs that's amazing. I'd love to have a personal shopper for a day too. You Wood girls have so much style.

Diana said...

OH meant to add that cake looks very yummy.

Jill said...

I hope you've found your pace on life's treadmill this week. It's hard to have something scheduled every night even if it's stuff you want to do. I'm glad you made time to blog!

charlotte said...

I love Dad's 10 Things album! Happy birthday, Dad! Love you so much!

emily said...

I love you both so much! It is such a blessing to have parents who love each other. Happy birthday, Dad!

Susan said...

Sounds like the birthday celebration went well! But, it looks like Mom may have made some secret changes to the age old banana cake recipe!! Mine doesn't look like that! What's in the cream? It used to be just cream.....

Darling photos of you and Mark. Congrats on the 40 lbs. That is quite an accomplishment! Love you Mark. Thanks for taking care of my baby sister.

michelle said...

Wonderful!

I haven't had that cake in ages, it's looking really good.

A 40-pound weight loss is a serious accomplishment! And yes, some new clothes would be in order.

I love your 10 things album tradition and your #10 is a huge gift.

Happy birthday to Mark!

Kathy B. said...

This blog brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful gift you both have in each other. Mark looks fantastic...and so young! It just seems like yesterday that I was waving at him from across the basketball court in my big red coat. I am sure that if that happened today, he wouldn't pretend that he didn't know me. Love you guys!