Wednesday, December 31, 2008

time in a bottle: Christmas Eve

It's hard to believe that one week ago it was Christmas Eve. What is it about time that makes it seem to go both super fast and surrealistically slow at the same time? How is this possible? In some ways it seems like Christmas Eve--the baking, entertaining, anticipating--was forever ago, but at the same time I feel the days slipping away far too quickly with Real Life nipping dangerously at my heels.

Before the moment is too far gone, however, I want to recap our Christmas celebrations in the hope that by capturing a few moments of "time in a bottle" I can convince myself that it wasn't just a dream.

We had our traditional Christmas Eve buffet of smoked turkey and salmon, beef tenderloin, crabbed-stuffed twice-baked potatoes, three different salads, homemade rolls, and cooked carrots (the mother in me always hopes that, since my kids won't eat the spinach salad, they'll meet their vegetable quota another way).

We seated eleven for dinner; our friend Melissa and the missionaries came. Later, our friends the Namiaches stopped by with their two children (one of whom is Sarah's good friend) for dessert. They arrived just in time for our annual Christmas Eve program of music and stories, which Sarah organized this year.

I love watching the kids perform together. Though you can't see it in this photo, Emily was accompanying Charlotte and Sarah.

My mom and I have sung Pinecones and Hollyberries/It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas together every Christmas Eve for as long as I can remember. We didn't have accompaniment this year, so it was a little rocky, but I will always treasure this memory.

Sarah invited her friend Danielle to read How the Grinch Stole Christmas with her. They read with such expression!

We had invited the missionaries to contribute to our program. Elder Welch brought his guitar and he and Elder Hixon sang a couple of Christmas carols. They did a nice job!

No matter how old the kids get, they still look forward to opening their *surprise!* pajamas on Christmas Eve. Here they are modeling their new sleep/lounge wear.

When the kids were ready for bed and the cookies and milk had been left out for Santa, they gathered in the girls' room for a game of electronic Life. The kids' tradition of playing a Christmas Eve game together in one of their bedrooms started a few years ago, and as one of Santa's helpers, I am a fan.

By midnight or so, not a creature was stirring and we slept undisturbed until 7:45 a.m. Christmas morning, when Sarah and John came downstairs to wake us.

5 comments:

Susan said...

I love your account of the evening. Christmas Eve traditions are always treasured.

I would have, however, loved to have had a video of you amd Mom singing! I can hear it in my mind and that will have to do.

Jill said...

Everyone in your family is so talented, I can imagine how great your Christmas Eve program is.

Diana said...

That looks like so much fun. everyone looks so cute in their new jammies.

michelle said...

I can hear you and Grandma singing that song in my mind as well.

Oh how I loved gathering around your table with your delightful flocked tree last year...

Lee said...

Denise I love your blog. It is lovely and all your traditions are somewhat similar except my mom doesn't sing and I'm so jealous. I will tell you that I am going to steal your christmas program idea for my next years party. I usually have everyone knowing what they are going to do but I love you typed out program. Makes it very festive.
God bless.
Lee