Sunday, December 21, 2008

'tis the season!

Wow. Two weeks ago I was just getting home from PA and it was Mark's birthday. Fourteen days, three programs, two parties, one concert, our first big snow storm, and eight rolls of wrapping paper later, it's four days before Christmas and all I've posted about is my one very lovely and long-awaited nap.

So, lest I neglect to document the events of the season, here's a not-so-brief synopsis:
  • December 10th: Relief Society Christmas party. Martissa, April, and I put together a program of stories and songs--about 50 minutes worth--that we performed for our ward's sisters. I love singing with these two because they can both read music and hold their own parts. It's so much fun to sing harmony!
Three divas, with our accompanist Julia.
  • December 11th: Sarah's Fourth Grade Holiday Program. I bought Sarah a pretty Christmas dress that I found at Macy's in Pennsylvania, but it was too big. We squeezed in a trip to the local Macy's in the afternoon to exchange it. Even though we couldn't find the identical dress, we found another that we liked and Sarah wore it to her elementary school program that night. With her hair done in hot rollers and in her new dress, she was definitely the cutest one in the recorder ensemble! I enjoyed her program, even though the gym was full and I had to stand the entire time.
  • December 12th: John's high school choir concert. This was a delightful evening--the best concert at WRHS since my favorite choir teacher left seven or eight years ago.
You know, I just don't get tired of seeing that boy in a tux! (Shown here with his friend Devin.)
  • December 13th: Ward Christmas Party. I was on the committee for this one, so it took up large part of my day. We had a chili supper and program which I was again a part of (due to the fact that my mother was also on the planning committee). No photos of this event, which is just as well, as the program is best left a memory.
  • December 14th: Major snow storm blows into town! (Thankfully, after my car was unloaded from the previous night's party.) I talked Sarah and John into shoveling the driveway and walk after church--not their favorite task, to say the least.
  • December 15th-20th: Power shopping to the max! My feet are eternally grateful for early Christmas present of new Dansko clogs. Lots of late-night wrapping.
  • December 16th: After an early-morning stop at my parents' house to help my Dad upload the Christmas card photo I took the day before, I find that my car won't start. Will. Not. Start. Bad start to a long day. Their photo turned out cute, though.
  • December 18th: Charlotte and Emily catch an early flight from SLC! Home for 2+ weeks!
  • December 20th: BYU bowl game. Our friends, the Buehler's came over to watch (sad outcome for Cougar fans). We had enchiladas for dinner, and we all enjoyed playing with their darling one-year-old baby girl.
  • December 21st: Christmas Sunday. I love the Sunday before Christmas! Today's Sacrament Meeting was especially meaningful to me because my parents were the speakers and Charlotte and Emily played a beautiful violin/piano duet. I was reminded that the real reason we celebrate Christmas has very little--if anything--to do with concerts, parties, shopping, or wrapping. I am so grateful for the birth of the Savior and for His love for me. I feel more motivated to reach out to others, to be more loving at home, and to drop the stress that so often accompanies the holiday season.
And I even managed to get our neighbor Nick to get this family photo before everyone changed out of their Sunday clothes!

Life is good.

5 comments:

Diana said...

I love your recap Denise. I'll have to do something similar this month is just going by so fast with so many things going on, I just haven't blogged but I don't want to forget either.
I can imagine how beautiful the Sacrament program was. You must be loving life with your girls home.
Sad sad day yesterday for Cougar fans.
Merry Christmas!

Jill said...

This is a great catch-up post Denise! You've been mighty busy. I love the first photo of you up there performing with the other two friends. Your family has been blessed with such beautiful voices, it's wonderful that you share them so readily.

Hooray for Charlotte and Emily being home for 2 plus weeks! Enjoy everything!

michelle said...

I still can't believe John has a tux! Very suave.

I too love your self-portrait with your singing friends -- you are an SP master.

Darling photo of Grandma & Grandpa!

I wish I could have heard them speak in sac. mtg. and Charlotte & Emily perform. Today was one long witness to me of the reason for Christmas.

Susan said...

Great catch-up!

I only wish Fred and I could have been with you for Sacrament meeting. The family looks darling together and very festive!

Sounds like you'll be due for some real down time. Go for it.

Darling, darling photo of Mom and Dad. Thanks! Missing you so.

April said...

What the heck am I doing in that first picture?! I love the self-portrait of the four of us-soooo cute!
All your pictures are adorable, you have to be some of the most beautiful people ever. I just love your family!
Sad day about the cougars. And even more sad about your car.
Church was amazing yesterday. I loved the talents and talks and prayers shared by your family. It was a perfect christmas gift.