Saturday, January 10, 2009

back in the rafters

I finally managed to dismantle my Christmas decorations and put them all in plastic bins, ready to stow in the garage rafters until next year. I'm sure glad that Storage of Christmas Boxes falls under Mark's job description, as I am not very good at standing on high ladders while hoisting large, heavy bins over my head.

The tree always seems a bit lonely after all the decorations come off, but I still think it's pretty (though I did notice a few strands of lights are not working--oh well, I'll deal with that next year).

Susan sent me a large box of beautiful assorted red ornaments to add to my tree this year. It took me way longer than in years past to sort and wrap everything. One idiosyncrasy of mine is that I like to dust the ornaments before I put them away. After all, they've been on the tree for about six weeks and no one dusted them while they were hanging there!

Moosey kept me company, cuddled up on the dirty table cloth (from John's birthday dinner) that hadn't yet made it into the laundry pile.

So now I feel a little blue and rather tired, but mostly relieved that I can now clean my house and move on with January.

5 comments:

michelle said...

That's always a thankless job, but one that feels good to complete nonetheless. I'm still trying to get my kids to take down their trees today, but in my sick state I'm having a hard time being the enforcer.

Dusting the ornaments, eh? I can't say that I do that!

If I had an Oreck, I would need a similar label on my blog for sure.

(What DO you do about the lights going out on pre-lit trees? I need to tackle that next year as well...)

Jill said...

We haven't taken down our Christmas stuff yet, and surprisingly it's not driving me crazy.

It is always a little bit sad to put it all away, but usually the super clean and organized feeling that comes with having it done takes the edge off for me.

Lee said...

You are too cute. I love that picture of you it says it all in a nut shell. I know how you feel totally. I still left my christmas lights on though outside because it snowed here and it looked too pretty to take down.
Just think 11 more months till thanksgiving!
Ha Ha
God bless. Lee

charlotte said...

Taking down decorations is a little blue, but it does feel good in a move-on to life sort of way. I was feeling a little homesick today :( Miss you.

Miranda said...

You dust your ornaments before putting them away. You are hard core.