Another blessing? Look at what's waiting for us for tomorrow's breakfast:
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
happy 15th birthday John!
I always feel a little sorry for John on his birthday. It seems almost anti-climactic after the hoopla of the holidays, and some years--this one included--school has already started after the break. Happy Birthday. It's cold. It's January. Have fun at school.
Thankfully, John is easy to please and a good sport about the whole post-holiday-birthday thing. He started the day with a traditional box of Birthday Cereal, which in his case is Marshmallow Mateys. Inspired by his sisters, he decided he wants to fix up his bedroom for his main birthday gift. Before he came home from school, I made his bed with the new bedding that will inspire the palette for his room re-do. After a stop at Starbucks for a vanilla frappuccino (a treat--we never go there) he was pleasantly surprised with not only the new bedding ensemble, but also two new bed pillows from Emily. (His old ones were frightfully limp and lifeless!)
My mom came over later, homemade cake in hand, to help make dinner. Since my dad's birthday is the day before John's, and since we didn't want to make a roast with mashed potatoes and gravy two nights in a row (they both have the same favorite meal), we combined the family birthday dinners (more about my darling 89-year-old dad in an upcoming post).
My favorite gift for John was a larger-than-life framed photo of Moosey. The frame originally had a picture of Frank Sinatra in it and was on the clearance rack at Penneys. I replaced Frank with a black and white 12 x 12 photo of our adored pet cuddled up in her blanket. It will look perfect in his soon-to-be-painted room!

In addition to things for his room, he received an iTunes gift card (from Charlotte), a charger for his iPod, and a memory card to add to his cell phone. Mark selected the latter gift and John was beyond thrilled. I didn't even know you could buy memory upgrades for cell phones. It's a boy thing, I guess.
At the dinner table, when we each said something we love about John, I told him that I'm thankful and feel fortunate that I trust him. I appreciate that he wants to do what's right, even in a world where doing what's right isn't always "cool." I also love John for always telling me that he loves me--even when I drop him off at school, and even when he talks to me on the phone. I feel fortunate indeed to be his mother.
Another blessing? Look at what's waiting for us for tomorrow's breakfast:
Another blessing? Look at what's waiting for us for tomorrow's breakfast:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
Happy Birthday, John!
I thought all frappuccino had coffee in them. I guess not!
Serin, the vanilla ones are like a posh milkshake of sorts. Quite tasty--and no coffee!
I love you so much John!! He is such a great guy--I can't believe he's fifteen already!?@! It looks like it was such a fun day, and I can't wait to see the larger-than-life photo of Moosey! Happy birthday, bud :) Love you so much :)
Hmmmm, maybe I'll have to treat myself to one of those the next time I go to the store ;)
That cake looks so good, especially for breakfast!
John sounds like a great guy.
Happy birthday John!
Being able to trust your child to do what's right is the best gift a parent could ever have.
Birthday cake for breakfast being a close second.
Just curious, but does your mom give cake making lessons? Or at least recipes....I drool everytime I come to your blog! It's hazardous...I could short out my keyboard.
Happy birthday to John! The best thing about this post is the picture of the cake. Best. Breakfast. Ever. Period.
Love you!
Happy Birthday John!
That new room is smok'in!! I agree with all the things your Mom said about you and love your hugs whenever I'm around.
I'm crying that I can't have a bite of that cake right this very minute.
Post a Comment