In a General Conference talk given by Henry B. Eyring in October 2007, he admonished us to reflect upon, recognize, and remember evidence of God's kindness in our everyday lives. I love this talk, especially in light of my word for 2009, and before I go to bed want to record His kindness shown to me today.
I've had a very busy day, leaving the house shortly after 8 a.m. to go to the high school to measure the choir kids for musical costumes. After a couple of hours there, I ran home to pick up a set of plans needed at a jobsite (I work for a custom home builder), then picked up my mom and left for the construction site to deliver said plans. From there we went approximately 20 miles north for a slew of errands, stopping at Marshalls, Homegoods, Capabilities (a store with aids for the blind), Penneys, Lamps Plus, and Hobby Lobby. (Good thing my 82-year-old mother still has shopping stamina!)
I arrived home at 4:30 p.m., just in time to take the kids to their piano lessons, stopping at another store on my way home from dropping them off to make a quick return. After preparing, eating, and cleaning up dinner (by this time about 8:30 p.m.) I ran over to my friend Paula's house (nearby) to borrow a tool needed for framing pictures. We chatted for over an hour (so fun, as we haven't done this for a while) and when I got in my car to leave at 10:15 p.m. it wouldn't start. Would. Not. Start.
I tried the Wiggling-Wire-Trick that had worked for me previously in the parking lot of Sam's Club when my car had not started. I tried swearing at the car under my breath. I finally called Mark (who was already ready for bed) and I said a prayer that--if my car was going to die--please let it die a peaceful death at home, rather than behind my friend's car in her driveway.
Upon Mark's arrival, and with the help of Paula's handy husband--who used a broom handle to prod some contraption connected to the starter--my car started and I drove it home.
The hand of God, you ask? Think of all of the places my car might have died today, leaving my mom and me stranded far from home. Of all the stopping and starting my car did today, it gave out in the nearby driveway of a very dear friend with a very helpful husband. For this I am very grateful.
Guess I'd better look for an old broom to throw in the back of my car.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
My Mom's house is a great place to get stranded :)
Glad you made it home and may your car live on!
That reminds me of Wayne's tried and true method of fixing anything: Just fart around with it until something works.
God is never farther than our arms length. Sometimes I almost think that he says Hmm lets see what she can come up with, he watches and then says, okay okay, here I am, don't fret and don't fear, I am here. And the father stretches his arms out and cradles his child in his. I know he is always with us. You are such an amazing person, mom, sister, wife and friend as I can see by your blog entries and from talking to your sister. It is reflected in everything you do.
God bless,
Lee
I love that talk too. Ever since I started the bedtime ritual of writing down the tender mercies I've seen during the day, I've gained a much greater testimony of God's love for me and all of His children. He knows everything we do, and He guides us and steps in when we need it, which is a lot more than we realize.
I love your touching words, thoughts,and attitude. I love all the comments of people I love. I love you and I am glad to be sitting alone in my office at the end of a stressful day where a tear can run down my cheek as my heart is touched.
You are such an example to me as an industrious, hardworking,neverfailing, enduring sister. sniff sniff.....
love you.
I love your testimony. It is so incredibly strengthening to me that you can successfully find our Father in Heaven in even the most frustrating of circumstances. I've found lately that by counting my blessings when feeling down or frustrated, I overcome feelings of loneliness or inadequacy and learn to live in God's light.
Love you so much, Mom :) Miss you like crazy.
Good things to remember. And I'm sorry about the car troubles. They're never fun, but you're right that it happened in a relatively good place. And knowing Jan, I'm sure he wasn't anywhere near ready for bed at 10:15.
Incidentally, Dula and I had a bad starter motor in our car for longer than I'd like to admit. Besides periodic embarrassment, it was really easy whack it and make it start again (once I learned where the starter was and to carry around a whacking instrument, that is).
way to relfect on the positive!
so what is happening with the car now?
I wonder if that thing is ever going to die for real one day, I doubt it!! It is being held together simply by the prayers of those that love you!
This is such a touching post and such a good reminder for me to see the Lord's hand in everything, even the unpleasant stuff. It's wonderful you wrote this down.
paws - slight correction. My technique is to MINDLESSLY fart around until the problem is fixed. That is a key element, can't be overlooked.
I love this post, Denise. I do think that documenting the evidence of God's kindnesses to us are testimony building, especially when you share it!
I'm so glad you and Grandma did not get stranded somewhere. And I hope that car keeps holding on for you.
Post a Comment