Tuesday, January 6, 2009

2009 word of the year

Of the many fun and relaxing things we did together during the Christmas holiday, one of our favorites was looking at family scrapbooks together. I started scrapbooking in 1995, and although I haven't always kept up-to-date with my albums, I have compiled about a dozen or more books through the years. We loved looking through the collection, marveling at how much younger everyone was (myself included), how cute the kids were as babies and young children, and reminiscing about various celebrations, friends, houses, and projects that have been a part of our family life.

Inspired by many of your New Year's resolutions, I had been thinking about choosing a word of the year, as many of my blogger friends do. After some thought and consideration, I have chosen remember as my word for 2009. Though a fairly mundane word at first glance, I have come to find many layers of meaning for me. As I was reading my scriptures last night, here are a few things I thought about:
  • Remember to recognize and do the most important things first.
  • Remember the happy times and be rejuvenated by them.
  • Remember and learn from mistakes and hard times.
  • Remember to look at the "big picture" when working toward long-term goals.
  • Remember the things I need to take with me each day before I go out the door.
  • Remember to think of others--and let them know that I am.
  • Remember and reflect upon my baptismal and temple covenants.
  • Remember and give honor to my ancestors.
  • Remember the sabbath day to keep it holy.
  • Remember to reflect upon and acknowledge how I "have seen the hand of God reaching out to touch [me] or [my] family [each] day." (President Henry B. Eyring, Oct. '07 General Conference, "O Remember, Remember")
  • Remember who I serve--my Savior, Jesus Christ.

And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.

Helaman 5: 12


My goal for 2009: Remember.

7 comments:

paws said...

Great choice.

charlotte said...

This is a beautiful post. The scriptures are chock-full of admonitions to remember--it's the only way we can successfully make it through this life. You're going to rock this word!

Serin said...

Great post! (I always loved looking at your scrapbook pages)

Jill said...

This will be a great word for the year!

michelle said...

Beautiful. When you think of how often we are admonished to remember in the scriptures, it must be a very important word indeed! I hope it gives your year focus.

Linda said...

What a great word for 2009!

I've also never chosen a word before but have for this new year. I chose forgiveness. I am one to easily forgive and forget but close family members have pushed my limits over the last few years. Choosing this word will help me to show God's love and to move past and move on.

With words like remember and forgiveness, I think we both will grow, develop, and discover more about ourselves than ever! I think 2009 is going to be wonderful!

emily said...

I love this post! Thank you for the insight you've shared; this will help me remember more too. It's so strengthening for me to read this an d see your testimony and steadfastness in the gospel. Love you!