Friday, January 30, 2009

disclaimer: Welcome to Crazyville

Somewhere in the strands of my DNA lurks what I have come to call the Mutant Drama Gene, which drives otherwise ordinary people like me to want to be involved in theatrical productions. While I enjoyed participating in musical theater when I was in high school, and continue to sing occasionally at church events, I never really dreamed that I would become--of all things--a costumer of high school musicals.

It began nearly ten years ago with The Sound of Music, and has continued through shows like Anything Goes, Annie Get Your Gun, Brigadoon, Guys and Dolls, and Kiss Me Kate, just to name a few. My costume collection now exceeds what my own storage space at home will hold, and currently resides in the basement of a very generous friend.

So other than the mutated genetic code theory, I can't quite explain why every February and March I put the rest of my life on hold and pour every ounce of energy--spent and unspent--into designing, organizing, gathering, laundering, borrowing, ironing, and sewing costumes. My house is a mess, my dinner unplanned, my car full of petticoats, my own laundry a heap, my brain frazzled. This is what my dining room table looked like after yesterday's multiple trips to Joanne Fabrics:

This is me in the school's costume room pondering where to come up with six additional princess gowns, two knights in shining armor, and a princess dress that looks like it came from a swamp (this year's show is Once Upon a Mattress). I'm also pondering who I can sweet-talk into making four gowns for the principle dancers. There are almost fifty kids, total, in the cast.

So, in case you start to wonder over the next few weeks why I've suddenly dropped out of the Blogosphere, just know that I've temporarily taken up residence in Crazyville.

Thank heavens for my dear friend Teri, who--when I'm exhausted and feel like I'm losing my grasp on the fraying end of my rope--smiles and assures me that we can pull it all together.

I'll try to keep you posted, but can make no promises. It's that time of year again.

16 comments:

Miranda said...

I love it! I will help you sew princess costumes if you give me some pointers in the meantime!

Mark said...

My wife is fabulous! She is devoted to excellence in all her engagements. When she started costuming many years ago, I expected it to last no more than three or four years. I was wrong but don't regret it. In addition to the creative satisfaction, she's deveoped many lifelong friedships and I'm grateful to benefit and appreciate those associations! These are wonderful people like Teri, Vicki, Janine, Julia, et al, not to mention their husbands. These are remarkable, principled friends.
I look forward to the musical. It's one of my yearly highlights! (I'm sure Denise will be shocked to have me put that in writing!)

thepostproducer said...

Yay I love musical time! I miss it and I miss your amazing costumes! The ones for this show look particularly beautiful! Princess dresses and knights in shining armour?! You just can't get much better than that! I hope everything goes well for you! Happy sewing! Love Quanta

michelle said...

I don't know how you do it, Denise! Crazyville, for sure. But it must be satisfying as well. I wish I had your skills.

And hey, Mark commented!

Denise said...

Mark commenting? It makes my stay in Crazyville worthwhile!

emily said...

I love Dad's comment! I too am a little shocked to see him admit that he likes musical season so much! Haha

I'm feeling definite blues that I'm not in the crazy with you. I loved being your costuming assistant. Your work is always so thorough and beautiful. I know that you and your attention to detail makes such a difference for the show and for all those involved. You brighten a lot of days with your love and talent. You can do it!

Love you so much! :)

Lee said...

The very fact that your husband left an incredible and endearing comment like that must make crazyville a bit farther than you assumed. How sweet Denise.
I wish I lived closer so I could help out.
You should have your own sitcom. You are too cute and funny. Lee

Susan said...

Glad for the update!

Woohoo for Mark commenting!! Fred has yet to comment on mine. (I posted a comment pretending to be him!) Good goind, Mark! And, I couldn't agree with you more.

I can't help but think the the directors pale in comparison to your contributions. I'm sure that you can make it and the end result will be another fond memory--although there might be some vitamin V needed along the way!! tee hee.

I do wish Emily were there to be the assistant, that would be an awesome duo! (Emily, wouldn't it be worth it to quit shcool??!)

Susan said...

They are so lucky to have you, and your sewing skills are amazing. I am still feeling proud of myself for making pillowcases this year for my niece and 2 nephews. So, even if I was there I wouldn't be much help. But I could bring you dinner...

In the meantime, I'll send you good vibes and I'll be patient if there aren't new posts on your excellent blog.

michelle said...

I'm cracking up over my mom leaving herself a comment as my dad!! And I really thought that was him... it was convincing, at least.

Bond Girl 007 said...

Crazyville...for sure, but at least it is colorful! Wow that is a lot of work and quite an endeavor...funny how he said, 3 to 4 years......fastfoward...the best things good friendships...that is worthwhile!

Diana said...

That just sounds crazy!!!
I bet the school is so appreciative.

Lee said...

So Denise, you inspired me with all the talk of your costumes. I felt inspired today because of your blog. Check out mine and you'll see why. Lee

Gena said...

Denise you are the Celestial example of, well, most everything. When I grow up... They were asking for voluteers for our Rodgers/Hammerstein's "Cinderella." Maybe next year when the girls are seniors and I'll have and excuse to say "no" the next year!

Marianne said...

Those kids don't know how good they have it with you doing their costumes! I remember when our costumes were every man for himself at the thrift store. I miss the days at WRHS with you, Janice, Blaz, Vickie, Yutz and Westwood. Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Denise, I can't believe it's been ten years since Sound of Music! Where does the time go? I still remember the awesome indian brave costumes from Annie Get your Gun, with the nasty, fake, black wigs and the makeshift "moccassins". Any time I see any production, I can't help but think of you and what fun we had during musical season. I think you should suggest Mary Poppins as next years musical!
-Anthony