Tuesday, January 6, 2009
final hurrah
Sarah had been pestering us all vacation long to go ice skating at a nearby outdoor rink. We thought we would go before Charlotte and Emily left, but for various reasons didn't, and wound up going Monday night for Family Home Evening, the night before school started again. Not being an outdoorsy or even remotely athletic girl, I was not looking forward to spending the evening in the freezing cold. I volunteered to stand on the sidelines and take pictures, even though I sort of felt like the "Boring Mom."
Though I did freeze and was sorely tempted to slip nonchalantly into the nearby Gap store, I was glad we went because the kids had so much fun. John is quite the speed skater, and Sarah--who I thought would be clinging to the side railing--didn't fall once. I guess she takes more after her Canadian-born father than her non-coordinated mother.
Lucky for me, John and Sarah worked up a sweat while skating and shed their outer-layer coats, which I gratefully accepted. I sat on one and covered up with the other. I wrapped Sarah's fleece scarf around my head and ears, and I'm quite sure I looked ridiculous huddled on a chair.
Sarah took a break and came to comfort me in my teeth-chattering condition.
When the kids were finally tired and ready to leave, I convinced everyone to pause under the light for a quick SP. It took a little persuading on my part, but they humored me. It's a little blurry, but I'll take what I can get under the circumstances.
I was ready for the hot cocoa we had upon returning home. Call me boring, but I'll take chocolate any day over any activity requiring dangerous footwear.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
"dangerous footwear" - lol
I know you hate how they mess up your hair, but a hat would have helped keep you warm!
That looks like it was actually a blast! The pictures you took are so cute, and you're definitely not the boring mom--you're the ShamWow mom to the max!! Love you all :)
"Dangerous footwear" that's too funny.
The self-portrait is so cute. Some of my favorites are blurry, but I'll take what I can get.
Denise I think we are sisters in another life. I know we would be the best of friends if you lived here. I love your blog entry and your remember section. Absolutely love it. Your skating photos are magazine worthy. I love reading your blog.
God bless.
Love Lee
Don't have your email so I always have to post.
My Canadian friends tell me that ice skating is a life skill there -- good thing I live here! I can't ice skate to save my life. Dangerous footwear, indeed.
My family isn't thrilled about self-portraits either (especially ones in public) but it turned out so very cute!
Oh I could so relate to this post! I'm the boring mom who sits on the sidelines all bundled up too (all the while secretly praying that they'll hurry up and finish so we can get home already!)
I loved your family self-portrait! So glad they're happily participating. My hubby isn't quite there yet!
I'm so glad that it turned out to be fun! It makes me feel better being away to see the little foursome of our family having fun and being together. I love you all so much! =)
(And I would have slipped into the Gap with you. You know how I can't resist the clearance underwear bins. ;) )
Post a Comment