Monday, October 6, 2008

Donut Night!

Like many, we look forward to semi-annual Conference weekends at our house. It almost seems like a holiday--a holiday in our family room. I love the spiritual boost, but mostly I love the feeling of complete security and safety. It's as if, for an entire weekend, I am in a little safe cocoon protected and sheltered from the world. I feel such love and respect for our Church leaders and feel especially grateful to know that President Monson is the Lord's prophet on the earth--right here, right now--for me and my family, as well as the Church as a whole. I love this feeling of unity, knowing that worldwide my friends and loved ones are watching and worshipping together.

About six or seven years ago we began a new tradition that is now a much-anticipated part of our Conference weekend: Donut Night (now a proper noun in our home). During the Saturday night Priesthood session of Conference the girls (meaning my mom, me, my daughters, friends--whoever happens not to be attending the Priesthood session) gather together in this fun ritual of rolling, rising, frying, glazing, and eating.

Part of me felt a little wistful and sad this year, knowing that both Charlotte and Emily would be absent. I decided that rather than be sad, however, I would surround myself with lots of friends and commission my mom to mix a double batch of dough.

If I do say so myself, it was one of our better batches! (The following blurry photo doesn't quite do them justice).

The best part was enjoying time spent with good people.

Rachelle and her parents and brother Devin came, as did Neighbor Nick, Jacquelyn, Melissa, and the missionaries.


Elders Hixon and Sax risked breaking curfew to stop by on their way home.

Don't I have the prettiest mother in the world? She turned 82 on Sunday, and I feel so blessed that she is a part of my everyday life.

I am blessed in so many ways, and Conference weekend is always a grounding reminder for me of all those things for which I am most grateful--fresh donuts being only one them.

14 comments:

charlotte said...

I love all the pictures!! That one of Dad laughing is probably my favorite :) The "prettiest mom in the world" I'm pretty sure is genetic, because I think I definitely have the prettiest mom in the world (of this generation anyway), hands down. :) Love you lots :)

michelle said...

I was about to say that you DO have the prettiest mom in the world -- then I thought, hey! what about MY mom? And YOU, for that matter! Good genes, for sure.

I love all of these photos. So good to see Grandma and Grandpa when I haven't seen them for almost a year. And I want a picture of me kissing Grandpa's bald head!

You captured the beauty of Conference weekend so well. It's about being spiritually uplifted, of course, but also about the safety and security of being home with your family and knowing that your loved ones are doing the same thing.

emily said...

I love the pictures! After reading your post last night, I immediately imported them into my iPhoto library and made the one of you, Sarah, Grandma, and Jacquelyn in the kitchen my background. I tried to crop a picture of myself into it, but couldn't figure out how. I'm glad you all had fun. It does make me sad that I wasn't there, though. :( Love you!

April said...

I love the picture of Mark! And of Jackie kissing your dad's head. And I think that Charlotte is the most beautiful person and what I hope to aspire to be like at 82!

I am sad that I couldn't be there. Maybe another time. Those donuts look amazing

Susan said...

I am always so sad that I have never been part of donut night----ever!

Linda and I want you to forward the recipe at once! (with any and all needed tips!!!

We want to try it when we go for Fiona's blessing!! Yes.

thepostproducer said...

I love how one of your tags is "Calories" haha. I am so forgtunate to have participated in this delicious event! The calories will never matter when I'm eating your doughnuts! =)

Linda said...

It looks like your pictures captured a wonderful and uplifting time had by all...and I agree, your mother is beautiful!

Jill said...

This looks like a fun tradition! I think it's great that you invited lots of people, rather than dwelling on the absence of Charlotte and Emily. You spread joy!

Diana said...

I wish I lived in Denver just so I could go to your donut conference tradition, it looks like so much fun.
I think it's cool you invited so many others too. the missionaries are lucky to have you in their area. I would have loved to have members like you helping me when I was a missionary.

Susan said...

Yum on the doughnuts. Please post the recipe. I think of conference as the Mormon holiday, and we get to have it twice a year! Many of us have our conference traditions, we get to stay in our PJs on Sunday morning, and we don't have to do our callings. Sounds like a holiday to me!

michelle said...

Hmmm... I'm thinking I need to learn how to make the donuts -- then Charlotte and Emily can come over next Conference for a donut night here!

Denise said...

Great idea, Michelle! I'm sure Charlotte and Emily would go for it (and I'll bet even Lucas would like the donuts!). I'll post the recipe when I get a spare moment.

charlotte said...

I like Michelle's idea :)

Bond Girl 007 said...

oh my goodness, those donuts do look scrumptoius...and your mum....wow that is a great dame at 82 beautiful what a blessing.